Author Topic: hazel primitive hollow-limb set?  (Read 9390 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: hazel primitive hollow-limb set?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2016, 10:17:34 am »
Stalker - will post a picture soon but can't post pictures from work.

PD - I ran the mass calculation for the bow at its current draw weight and it is bang-on, so I'm thinking the hollow limb counters the extra mass of the high crown and in effect  the calculation is run as though the bow is flat, so, no adjustment is necessary???  I also need to lose 1/3 of its total mass to get down to my target weight - I'm 8oz (200g)over at the moment

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2016, 04:18:47 am »
Hi Stalker
hollow limb is also known as concave belly.  Works well on sapling bows where the crown on the back is really high

Offline FilipT

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2016, 06:35:14 am »
Looks really cool, how did you hollowed it out and how did you know how much can you do it before it weakens the limbs?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2016, 07:58:45 am »
I used a wood-carving gouge at first, then switched to a curved scraper.  I am using the mass calculator to keep an eye on the weight of the bow, but mostly it is by feeling limb thickness between my finger and thumb - weak spots still show as twist or hinge on the tiller in the same way as a flat bow - I have not gone deep enough in the centre, and I need to take the hollow more out toward the edges  - the biggest draw back is that it takes a lot longer than building a flat bow, but, I think it reduces the chance of getting crysals (compression fractures) and it does look good

Offline FilipT

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2016, 08:52:00 am »
My second bow was elderberry one and it has naturally hollowed out limb that looks cool. Too bad that bow was underweight.