Author Topic: Just getting started  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Ippus

Just getting started
« on: September 04, 2015, 11:57:00 am »
So... here I am, just got bit by the bowyery bug, might have a chance to start working my first stave in the next couple of weeks. I've figured out how to get around a bunch of different obstacles thrown up by my crazy-tight budget, and then it hits me: I can build a bow, but what am I going to shoot from it!? I've tracked down all four volumes of the TBB at my local library, YAY! (and it's on the ol' amazon wish list, but we'll see about that), but I haven't run across a lot of details on building the shafts themselves (or maybe I just haven't hit the right chapter yet?).

Can you guys make recommendations on information resources for getting started in fletchery?

Does it require any more specialized equipment than bowyery?

Is it feasible to make my own spine tester, or do I need to just bite the bullet and buy one?

Ultimate question: How likely is it to be more economical in the long run to make my own arrows vs buying shafts at the archery shop?
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Just getting started
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 02:15:44 pm »
You can build your own arrows a lot cheaper than buying them. You can use cane or hardwood shoots or get lumber and make shafts by cutting 3/8"x3/8"x 36" stock and plane off the 4 corners, then the 8 corners then sand them smooth and round. A small thumb plane can be purchased from ACE hardware or other hardware stores for about $10. A rasp will also work.
 The cane you can get from a garden supply shop and the hardwood shoots from the woods or roadside banks.
 We have lots of info for making shafting and you can make your own spine tester and make it as simple as 2 nails placed 26" apart and hang a 2# weight from the center and measure the deflection.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ippus

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 02:37:55 pm »
Awesome! Thanks!
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 04:01:58 pm »
Check out this build-a-long.  It will show you how to make some good cheap arrows.  You can use a sterno heat can if you don't have a heat gun. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28697.0.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 04:07:13 pm »
Check out this build-a-long.  It will show you how to make some good cheap arrows.  You can use a sterno heat can if you don't have a heat gun. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28697.0.html

+1,this is a  great build along! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 04:14:54 pm »
Also, check out George Tsoukalas' website. Lots of bow, arrow, etc. build alongs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 12:28:29 am »
I recommend starting with cane or bamboo. I had some of my first wood shaft attempts explode on firing. Luckily none of the pieces it me and my bow survived.  Totally my mistake in retrospect, but wood shafts are far less forgiving as far as grain flaws and other imperfections.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Ippus

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 11:52:39 am »
So, I read through the arrow chapter in TBB.

There's chokecherry growing in the hills not far from here that I could harvest.

What do you guys think about wild rose? My neighbor's got some that's pretty out of control, and I could probably convince him to let me thin some of the straighter shoots.
Anybody ever tried raspberry canes or Russian sage?

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 12:29:32 pm »
Wild rose is supposedly an amazing arrow material. I dont think you need to buy a shaft spinner, I have never spined a shaft, all I do is ensure proper taper and size and then flex the shaft to see how it feels.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline unkieford

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 11:17:22 pm »
You can build your own spine test tool. There are plenty of build-along tutorials on the web.

In a pinch, you could fudge it by putting 2 nails in a fence rail, 28" apart, set your best shooting arrow on them, and hang a 2# weight in the center. Mark the deflection, and find or sand shafts to match that mark.

It isn't rocket science, but it IS math and engineering. (And maybe a touch of voodoo)

---Ford---

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 11:37:47 pm »
You want those nails 26" apart not 28" if you use AMO standard measurements of deflection.

Offline unkieford

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 12:02:54 am »
Pat is right, 26 inches. Typo on my part.

---Ford---

Offline Ippus

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 03:15:50 pm »
Well, I talked to my neighbor and he was totally cool with me taking some wild rose shoots. "You could take out as much as you want and I'm sure it'd be back just as big next year."
These things have been on the fenceline for a few years, and he's right - they're about as tough as it gets.

The guy at the BLM field office said I need to get a $15 permit before I harvest any chokecherry shoots, though.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 12:05:33 pm »
Cool, make sure you cut the rose that's about 2 to 3 years old. I've done a few and they seem to shrink a good bit. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Ippus

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 11:03:42 pm »
Well, nice little bonus: the underbark of the seasoned rose shoots smells quite pleasantly of green tea when I start peeling it.