Author Topic: Shooting after heart surgery  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Strelets

Shooting after heart surgery
« on: September 10, 2016, 03:04:00 am »
Hello everyone.
Does anyone have any experience of returning to archery after open heart surgery? I will be going in for replacement of the aortic valve in early December '16.  No archery, swimming or heavy lifting for three months after the operation.  After the three months I will then need to regain my muscle strength. My question for those who have had heart surgery is "how long did it take to recover to your previous level after resuming shooting?"

I am 65 years old and shoot English longbows of about 70 lb.

Best wishes to you all.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Shooting after heart surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 04:38:52 am »
Hi, no experience of heart surgery, but I wanted to wish you good luck.
I think they are a bit cautious with recovery times. Mind 3 months isn't so long when you get to our age ::).
I had to stop driving for a year after a"funny turn" it flew by.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 06:46:29 am »
I just want to say I same as Del said. I haven't had heart surgery but I know some people who have and most are much more active after healing up from surgery than before it. I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 08:49:37 am »
Strelets, I can tell you, at 66 healing and stamina seems to take me longer. Do as your Doc and therapists say. They will get you going as soon as you should.
 If you can find a light bow, 20#-25#, you could start getting your archery muscles back in shape once you get the OK from your Doc. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 04:09:22 pm »
my Dad had heart surgery,, and started shooting his long bow after that,, I dont remember the time frame,, but he had no issues with shooting that I know of,,

Offline Strelets

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 02:19:33 am »
Thanks to you all for your good wishes.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 09:40:36 am »
I had a good friend [Art] he has since passed but had open heart surgery at 81 and was shooting again in about 3 months, he wasn't shooting a 70lb. bow, so I feel sure you will need to work up to that. After 6 months he was good as new except for being 82. ??? ;) :) Hope all goes well, they have gotten pretty good at that stuff so just do what the doc says and I am sure you will be fine. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 05:33:21 pm »
I had open heart surgery and started shooting in about three months. It took over a year before I could pull my hunting bows. Slow and easy and follow you doctors orders.