Author Topic: Revisiting "Just What is a Self Bow, Anyhow?  (Read 13917 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Revisiting "Just What is a Self Bow, Anyhow?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2008, 09:17:04 pm »
I say ya all have too much time on yer hands and just leave it alone. Its Don's show so he gets to make the rules up ;D

Technically the words "self bow" implies that any bow made by ones self is a selfbow. So that could be Fiberglass with a CNC machined riser
if ya do it yer self ::) We could have 10 or 12 categories the we all could win :P
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2008, 09:26:35 pm »
Even if 34 is too many for me to vote on, it is so cool that that many people, and more, are cranking out quality bows.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 09:35:34 pm by wolfsire »
Steve in LV, NV

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2008, 09:36:27 pm »
  If some of the 37 bowyers are discouraged this month, then there won't be so many next month ;) Anyway, Turkey Season is about to kick into gear, the snow is melting, and the birds are chirping. More people will have something to do besides build bows and pester Momma. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2008, 09:54:09 pm »
Eddie I'm not discourged, I post my bows for fun, winning doesn't matter. After all if ya win BOM
its not like ya get a parade in yer honor and become rich and famous ;) :P
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 10:19:22 pm »
Eddie I'm not discourged, I post my bows for fun, winning doesn't matter. After all if ya win BOM
its not like ya get a parade in yer honor and become rich and famous ;) :P
.........YA DONT .................DANG ! ;D..bob

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2008, 10:37:18 pm »
Think yer right Eddie - huntin season's been over for awhile now but has still been ice locked in a lot of places. What else to do but build bows and dream about huntin ;D? It'll prolly taper off - turkey season, fishing 8), spring cleaning >:D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008, 01:26:35 am »
Its Don's show so he gets to make the rules up
Its not my show. I'm just a secretary here.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008, 01:35:32 am »
Its Don's show so he gets to make the rules up
Its not my show. I'm just a secretary here.

Ho........."You Da Man".........Don....aint nobody arguing that one..we just like to argue and puff up like a Cock Rooster some times!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2008, 01:51:10 am »
 And the beat goes ON and ON !  zzzzzzzzzzzz !!!! ;D ;D ;D......bob

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 11:48:01 am »
For the record, a self bow isn't named such because you build it yourself.  The correct definition of "self' is:

"being of one piece with, or the same material as the rest: drapes with a self lining."  from Dictionary.com, definition 6.

Jawge is right about the definition of selfbow.  Regardless of how people want to define their contest, it doesn't change the meaning of the term.

Personally I'd rather see sinewed bows lumped with other laminated bows, simply so we can have a true selfbow as well as a sinewed bow winning.  I'd always vote for the more primitive style/construction of bow because after all this is Primitive Archer.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Slivershooter

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2008, 01:25:16 pm »
Here are my thoughts:  Technically, I agree with Jawge on the definition, but understand and agree with the definition used for the purpose of the BOM competition.  It doesn't make much difference what you call them to me, I make the bow the wood tells me to make, and without regard to rather or not it need/has sinew, rawhide, or snakeskin, backing and still call it a selfbow.  As a side note regarding backing with a snakeskin, I use python skins (when I can get them) in place or rawhide because it is thicker then my antelope rawhide and looks better.  I donate or give most of my bows away and have started backing most of them with python, antelope rawhide covered with a snakeskin, or sinew covered with a snakeskin, for liability reasons.  I haven't had any break, but want some legal protection just in case.  Just a thought, I never post my bows because I have no desire to enter a competition: Can we post them without having them automatically entered in the BOM competition?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2008, 01:37:12 pm »
You bring up one of my arguements Slivershooter I think quite a few people don't post bows because they
don't want to participate in BOM. As a result we all lose by not seeing them. I think its perfectly acceptable
to post a bow with a disclaimer stating "Not For BOM" or just post em and don't worry about it.

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2008, 02:00:49 pm »
Slivershooter, sure-just put "not for BOM" or something like that in the subject line. We love to see pics of everyone's work (and learn from them), please don't refrain from posting your work because of a contest.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2008, 02:10:34 pm »
Yes, please, lets see those bows!
Steve in LV, NV

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2008, 02:19:14 pm »
Can we post them without having them automatically entered in the BOM competition?
Absolutely! And a heads up with your post is appreciated.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday