Author Topic: Revisiting "Just What is a Self Bow, Anyhow?  (Read 13918 times)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Revisiting "Just What is a Self Bow, Anyhow?
« on: March 02, 2008, 08:32:27 pm »
yankeemongiat - "So Don....are we going to start considering all Bows that are backed with Sinew and Rawhide and Fabric ....as Backed Bows??? I believe that they should be....since they are not a true Selfbow....what is everyone Else's thoughts on this???

OldBow- I have always considered that the Traditional Bowyer's Bible I described how one makes a self bow. In it is described various non-wood backings such as sinew or rawhide. So, I'm sticking with the Bible. A self bow can be backed but not laminated.

yankeemongiat- Buckwheat says.....OOOTAY!!!!  :o
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline sailordad

Re: Revisiting "Just What is a Self Bow, Anyhow?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 08:37:36 pm »
I'm still a newbie so i don't know if my opinion on this is just.
but i feel as long as it is one piece of wood for the length of the bow excluding tip overlays and riser blocks or natural backings such as sinew or rawhide that its a self bow.

PEACE,
                                                            Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 08:58:20 pm »
A selfbow is one piece of wood or 2 spliced at the handle. A backed bow is a backed bow. It cannot be a selfbow because it consists of more than one material. I don't have a problem with however the contest is set up but a selfbow is a selfbow. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 09:17:26 pm »
Don: I like your system - if it's hard backed it's laminated, if it's some stretchy natural material it's a selfbow, albeit backed. Hmm, now I'm second guessing myself. Anyway, you gotta draw the line somewhere - is it laminated or not??
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 09:40:36 pm »
A selfbow is one piece of wood or 2 spliced at the handle. A backed bow is a backed bow. It cannot be a selfbow because it consists of more than one material. I don't have a problem with however the contest is set up but a selfbow is a selfbow. :) Jawge
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Like Jawge said...........bob

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 09:40:49 pm »
if it went that way then putting a snake skin on for decoration would be considered backed bow
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 10:13:11 pm »
Thats what I was getting at Jawge.....but I will play by the Rules set......even though my Wife says that I dont play well with others!!!

And Kayakfisher....a Snake Skin does nothing for the Back of a Bow...Rawhide and Sinew do...so Hence no Backing....just Decoration...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 10:36:31 pm »
Any bow that you made yourself ;D
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 11:10:14 pm »
  Don, Personally I believe a self bow should be a bow with no protective backing. Whether it be wood,glass :o, rawhide, sinew or silk,etc. Anything that makes up for the poor quality of the  wood or craftsmanship of the bow. When you start bending curves in wooden bows without breaking or lifting splinters, I think this shows real skill. When you have to back it to do it, well...., that's a whole different story.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jesse

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 11:22:04 pm »
  Don, Personally I believe a self bow should be a bow with no protective backing. Whether it be wood,glass :o, rawhide, sinew or silk,etc. Anything that makes up for the poor quality of the  wood or craftsmanship of the bow. When you start bending curves in wooden bows without breaking or lifting splinters, I think this shows real skill. When you have to back it to do it, well...., that's a whole different story.
Well I somewhat agree but there are some designs that you can not make without a backing like those short highly recurved sinew backed bows. Its not a lack of skill its necessary for the design. but I do agree that if its working to hold the bow together like sinew or rawhide it is backed.  Jesse 
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 11:31:04 pm »
Maybe there should be a category for a natural materials bow in which all parts are not man made you could use any backing you want as long as its natural materials applied with glue made from natural materials like hide or fish glue. I think it should include non working parts, tip overlays, and finishes also.  Just a thought. :)   Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 11:47:48 pm »
  I have to disagree, Jesse. RyanO, Marc St. Louis, Keenan to name a few, have made some really short recurved bows without any backing. And if it's necessary for the design, It means it wouldn't hold up without backing it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 11:51:28 pm »
Probably stretching it a bit,  but maybe three categories. One laminated, one self, and one composiite - backed with  only pure natural parts like - sinew, hide or bark? Personally, I like it the way it is - simple..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 11:56:10 pm »
My personal definition of a selfbow would be a bow backed with nothing except air, except I would consider a bow of otherwise one piece of wood with a decorative non-functioning backing like snakeskin to be a selfbow. For the purposes of our contest, though, I see no reason to fix what ain't broke. It's already a lot of work for Don. At some point you can get so technical that it's just too much trouble to deal with. I think it works fine to have sinew, rawhide, or other non-wood backed bows in with the selfbows, and a seperate category for the wood and other hard laminated bows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 12:00:10 am »
I like it the way it is...stave based or board based(with wood to wood glue joints) Seems like yall are jus knit pickin to me...

dan