Author Topic: The bow that shouldn't be, ERC  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

The bow that shouldn't be, ERC
« on: August 30, 2016, 08:29:00 am »
Never made and ERC bow before, I cut some long dead cedar off my neighbor's place to make gizmos, it had been on the ground for at least 20 years but the inside was sound. I was cautioned about using this wood for bows but after finishing my squirrel rifle I needed a change of direction and made an attempt to make a bow out of this wood.

I put a 1/8" hickory backing on the cedar stave and glue the two together with about 2" of reflex.
As I began tillering I made several observations about my combination; one, you can tiller away poundage at breakneck speed with cedar, and two what looks like perfect tiller may not throw a good arrow without some serious limb tweaking, I am still tweaking.

As for performance, I am down to 38#@25" and getting slightly less than average speed, I suspect I have some tillering glitches to find still.

The bow is 65" NTN, 38#@25", 1 1/2" wide tapering from mid limb to a little less than 1/2" tips, a little over built "just in case". I added a curly maple handle and tip overlays so it will be a pretty bow if it holds up long enough to "make a bow" and require finishing.

I tried aqufortis stain on a test piece of hickory and cedar, the hickory came out a beautiful chestnut color, the cedar turned almost black.

It is still in the white, has about 50 arrows through it so far with no signs of failure and is holding about 1" of backset unstrung. The limbs both have a small punky knot on the edge which I filled with a bunch of Zap A Gap extra thin superglue and will give both a superglued thread wrap if the bow holds up.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:36:21 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: The bow that shouldn't be, ERC
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 08:44:33 am »
Eric, I never used it either. I hope it works well  for you. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 09:19:52 am »
Inspiring story!  - OneBow

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:59:12 am »
Eric it looks good to me fifty arrows usually means two hundred . I am sure it will be fine. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 11:07:53 am »
building one now...sinewed back flip tips 2 inch reflex... can almost till with sandpaper..haha...stave bow, straight no knots all sapwood limbs lil heartwood on handle...gut

Offline cantshoot

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 11:22:34 am »
Very cool to see a unique combo of woods, your spirit of experimentation may lead you to something special!

I really want it to work out so I can see what it looks like finished. It's looking beautiful already

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 01:19:24 pm »
Well, the backing let loose, it was edge grain hickory of dubious quality. The bad thing is I spent a little while this morning fine tuning the tiller and had it shooting fast and true and without any hand shock.

Anybody make a bamboo backed erc?

Offline GB

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 01:52:45 pm »
That's too bad, Eric.
Simon made a beautiful bamboo backed one awhile ago that he called Purple Haze.  I've made an elm backed and a hickory backed ERC, but I don't shoot them much.  I should, just to see how they hold up.  The boards I got from a lumberyard had punky areas in them, too, only in the sapwood.  I was able to work around them.  They looked brownish gray from sitting out in the elements.  That pretty red/purple color came up after quite a few passes on my belt sander.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 02:12:53 pm »
that sucks...I blew a maple backed ERC that was almost tilled out..perry reflex was about 55 at 26 was about to finish it...blew from pin knot on maple though...sorry to hear this Eric...

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 09:27:18 pm »
that was looking so good,, if the backing had been good, I bet it still shooting,, best to you on the next one,

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 12:37:38 am »
Eric, it's hard to beat Osage.  ;)

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 01:11:45 am »
imblying osage doesn't ever blow up

Offline FilipT

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 06:20:26 am »
So ERC is good in compression and bad in tension and that is why its backed?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 08:39:11 am »
I thought wood from a moss covered log that had been on the ground for many years may need a little assistance in the form of a backing.

I pulled out another piece of the same wood yesterday and will do a glue-up with bamboo this time.

I have enough osage to last two lifetimes but like to experiment every now and the.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 09:58:01 am »
I don't make as many bows per year as I used to, but I do like to change out to elm or hickory or ash now and then. One of the nicest shooting bows I have made in recent years is red oak from a stave.

I have made only one ERC bow. It turned out OK, but just didn't make me happy.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine