Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Laminated wood arrows

<< < (2/7) > >>

Del the cat:
I had some old pine skirting board that was V tight grain and made nice flight arrows. I made one up from two thin off cuts glued together with the grain running at angles.  ////\\\\, it seemed V good, stiff and straight.
Del

JoJoDapyro:
I have made them == and ll and lll and =l=  . Perhaps its time to try \\//. And maybe one day //oo\\

JNystrom:
I suppose the glue line creates some added weight, so best suited wood would be light, and stiff of course. Something like pine/larch/spruce.
Playing with the grain angles is interesting. Is wood stiffer with specific grain angle?

One thing that was tested at paleoplanet was some inserts of stiffer wood at the middle of arrow shaft. By getting weight at the middle, the arrow would straighten much easier. Could you insert even some horn strips or such? That would be interesting, getting more the barreled effect without real dimensional barreling.

willie:
Are you looking for minimal mass per stiffness?
much of the stiffness is determined by the outside diameter at the middle of the shaft. Hollowing of the core can reduce mass without affecting stiffness too much, but a heavier core might be not be effective if low mass is important.

I would think that grain orientation would have it's greatest effect when the grain is coarser, and with woods that have large density differences between early and late woods. (ash, doug fir etc.) , but it might be difficult to utilize any advantages.

DC:
Does the glue joint orientation affect the stiffness in that direction?  I'm not even sure I understand that question but I'll hope for the best ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version