Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Laminated wood arrows

<< < (6/7) > >>

JNystrom:
Actually nothing special. I heat treated the spruce slats and then glued. Ended up nice straight, but not stiffer than normal 1 piece arrow without heat treatment- i think... They were made from quite bad spruce, so i have some interest to try it again.

willie:
I tried some black spruce with very high ring count with disappointing results.

After reading this I have decides to look at other factors to find some stiffer boards

https://spruce2015.ualberta.ca/Portals/15/SpruceDocuments/Presentations/b1-sattler.pdf?ver=2015-10-26-161149-583

http://timber.ce.wsu.edu/resources/papers/9-5-2.pdf

TDLR: higher cambrial age, lower growth rate, lower stand elevation, and wood taken from lower in tree all increase odds for higher stiffness.

Hawkdancer:
 >:D  be glad to send out some super well aged (like40 years)cedar fence slats!  >:D  Actually it is probably to brittle, I can snap most of it by hand.  Just trying to figure out what to do with it, besides firewood, burns real fast.  Can't cook with it or smoke hides!  Does have a nice smell when burning, though.  Right now, I am staying with red osier dogwood shoots and maybe some Sitka spruce.  Haven't found a straight cedar long enough to do anything with!  Good info, everybody.
Hawkdancer

Marc St Louis:
I made hunting arrows out of Black Spruce a long time ago, just gave one of the last ones I had left to a young Cree from Moose Factory.  The wood is quite stiff for it's density but it can be a bit brittle.

willie:
Would that be Western Red cedar? I guess the most important thing is how stiff is it?

I think that most spruces are fairly similar in stiffness, given the same growing conditions. The Black I tried was weak most likely on account of being overmature and stunted, it can grow in some rather wet locations and the extremely high ring count did not count for much. Black spruce around here, if growing in a drier than typical location are quite similar to White spruce and the local White spruce hybridizes with Sitka spruce.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version