Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Laminated wood arrows

<< < (4/7) > >>

JNystrom:

--- Quote from: Badger on August 31, 2016, 01:40:03 pm ---   Willie, I think with flight arrows we actually need to use denser woods, stiffness is always an issue. I have had the best luck with purple heart and larch so far. Some doug fir I have found is dense and stiff as well.

--- End quote ---

Did you mean "....we actually need to use denser woods, stiffness ISN't always an issue"?
With spruce you get really stiff and light arrows, even though they seem to come quite thick (at least my rookie arrows). Last quite "ok" spruce arrow, 23" long, with ~63-65 pound draw was 7,7mm thick.

Badger:

--- Quote from: JNystrom on August 31, 2016, 05:18:37 pm ---
--- Quote from: Badger on August 31, 2016, 01:40:03 pm ---   Willie, I think with flight arrows we actually need to use denser woods, stiffness is always an issue. I have had the best luck with purple heart and larch so far. Some doug fir I have found is dense and stiff as well.

--- End quote ---

Did you mean "....we actually need to use denser woods, stiffness ISN't always an issue"?
With spruce you get really stiff and light arrows, even though they seem to come quite thick (at least my rookie arrows). Last quite "ok" spruce arrow, 23" long, with ~63-65 pound draw was 7,7mm thick.

--- End quote ---

Yes, denser woods. How much did your spruce arrow weigh? 65# spine at 7.7 mm is very good

willie:
when comparing designs of equal stiffness, I am guessing that the extra drag created with the larger diameter spruce would negate the initial speed gained when using the lighter wood.

drag being "what it is" at typical flight arrow velocity (300 fps?), could the woods mentioned as preferred be considered a good compromise stiffness/ mass?

Btw, purpleheart is often listed at .85  S.G.

Does the better fine grained doug fir / western larch  seem to have similar densities?

mikekeswick:

--- Quote from: JoJoDapyro on August 31, 2016, 12:06:04 pm ---I think the glue line does increase spine a bit, But I am sure that it does increase the elasticity of the wood.

--- End quote ---

Static spine maybe a little but arrows spin ;) I was talking about dynamic spine.

Badger:
    On a 23" arrow I seldom go below about 170 grains usually closer to 200 grains. I can do that with purpleheart, doug fir, po cedar and many other woods. The larch, Purple heart and doug fir seem to give me better diameters. The speeds from the 50# bows are usually in the 240 fps range with 200 grain arrows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version