Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Laminated wood arrows

<< < (3/7) > >>

JoJoDapyro:

--- Quote from: DC on August 30, 2016, 03:16:35 pm ---Does the glue joint orientation affect the stiffness in that direction?  I'm not even sure I understand that question but I'll hope for the best ;D

--- End quote ---

It seems to, that is why I tried to make some with a joint going both up and down, and side to side. So =l=

mikekeswick:
The way to make the cane arrows is how to make wooden arrows like this...just the wooden arrows are easier!
What is your goal? The best flight arrows? Tonkin is better than wood for this application.
Yes wood has different stiffness in different grain orientations. It is stiffest when bent at 90degs to 1/4 sawn. Horn has low bending resistance compared to wood and is 1.3s.g. so would be a poor choice to go inside a hollow shaft. You would want highest stiffness for density. Something like purpleheart or b.locust.
Also remember that all the 'modern' laminated wood shafts are made that way simply so they can use less than perfect stock and still get a pretty strong, resistant to breakage arrow. The gluelines in themselves don't help much to increase stiffness per se.

JoJoDapyro:
I think the glue line does increase spine a bit, But I am sure that it does increase the elasticity of the wood.

willie:
Mike
just curious, but doesn't something like spruce have the highest stiffness per density?

Badger:
   Willie, I think with flight arrows we actually need to use denser woods, stiffness is always an issue. I have had the best luck with purple heart and larch so far. Some doug fir I have found is dense and stiff as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version