Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Laminated wood arrows

(1/7) > >>

JNystrom:
I want to know everything about these laminated wood arrows. I've been searching information, but have only read couple of lines here and there. There are offcourse info about the bamboo laminated arrows, but not wood laminates from spruce/larch for example.
I suppose the basic idea is the same, laminate strips of some stiff wood to a hex shape? Or just laminated strips of wood on top of itself, without the 8 piece hex shape. What are the best combinations? Do you get any good arrow out of spruce by heat treated strips laminated just on top of each other without working it to an more complicated hex shape?
Well soon i'm going to try by myself, but before that i though i might just get some tips from here...

Badger:
  If you can find 100# western larch in 11/32 shafts I believe it will give you an optimum weight and diameter without laminating. Laminating to itself might even improve it.

mikekeswick:
There is a build along on paleoplanet where Alan Case shows how to make the hex cane shafts. I've followed it and made a few dozen, it's not too hard and you'll work it out as you go.

JNystrom:
Thanks!

Indeed i need to find stiff material for testing. Here in finland i can find spruce and pine easily, and because of that maybe find some special pieces of extra stiff wood. Larch is a bit harder to find, well not that hard either, but some.

mikekeswick: Im looking for the wood only shafts, not cane of bamboo. But actually i found some tips about wooden laminated arrows under the topic of hex cane shafts.

I think the user redhawk55 here has done some experiments with wood laminated arrows.
What i understood, was that the shaft can be made by just laminating strips on top of each other and then later on worked to a shaft. So you dont need the hex shape for wood laminated arrows. Its good news, cause the making of these arrows plainly by laminating strips is a lot easier...

JoJoDapyro:
I have been playing with this lately. I have made some 2 ply birch, 3 ply cedar, 4 ply birch, and a 5 layer birch and cedar. As with any lamination, your glue line is of the utmost importance. The more glue lines, the larger margin for error. The 3 ply cedar at 3/8 spines out pretty heavy. The Birch a bit lower. The cedar spines out at almost the same as a solid hard maple shaft, but is much lighter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version