Author Topic: 2016 Trail camera pictures  (Read 35518 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 2016 Trail camera pictures
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2016, 11:17:03 am »
Here are a few more of Big Bertha. The can was empty so she just knocked it over again then checked out the camera. This guy was the first on the scene...

...and this monkey...

A bit earlier this morning I took the dogs for  walk. Down in the garden area our scarecrow was attacked last night. I'll get a few pics of that too in a little while. I had a trail cam down there out it has bee acting up ad did't get pics of the activities. I also found where something, probably the bear, had pulled down a limb on a Cousa Dogwood to get to the fruit. I'll post pics of that too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2016, 11:30:38 am »
bjrogg.....The season is just beginning here and the weather forecast is good so I don't blame ya for waiting him out.Hopefully those does will keep coming by for later if he does'nt show up.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2016, 11:32:36 am »
Does your state have a bear season Pat?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2016, 11:48:19 am »
We do, Ed. It starts Oct. 17 and runs through Nov. 19 with a shorter season later. I have no desire t hunt bears though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2016, 12:09:34 pm »
I think those does will hang around for awhile yet Ed. I watched them come out in that same spot the last 2 nights. If it was a lone doe or little buck I wouldn't have thought twice. I was afraid if I shot one from that group that tree stand would be done for the year, hopefully I made the right choice. I actually have lots of picture of that buck there mid day who know maybe things will work out as planned. Either way it's been a lot of fun so far I wouldn't change a thing. If I had been in the tree myself and my equipment would have been totally soaked and trailing would have been very poor.
Good Luck everybody.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2016, 01:52:13 pm »
Here is poor Gourdy. He got his name from the dinosaur gourd we used for his head. His skeleton is 2" PVC pipe pivoted on a metal rod driven into the ground so Gourdy will turn in a breeze. The metal rod was bent at the ground level and Gourdy's head and PVC shoulders were near the creek.
 Gourdy's body was stuffed with plastic grocery bags and bread bags but Gourdy has been up for at least 3 years. Maybe Gourdy moved in a breeze and Bertha attacked. Anyway, here are a few pics. 

Offline DC

« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2016, 04:37:24 pm »
Some of the targets at our range were stuffed with plastic bags. The bears ripped them to shreds. Apparently they have come to associate the smell of plastic with food. Go figure ;)

Offline Mounter

« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2016, 01:13:24 am »
Rest in pieces Gourdy.......... :)

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2016, 04:54:11 pm »
Gourdy may have looked a little like a clown.....Can't have no clowns hanging around the garden... >:D
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2016, 05:04:21 pm »
Very sorry to hear about Gourdy Pat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2016, 12:24:54 am »
We were planning to redo Gourdy anyway. I have a few adjustments to make then set him back up. Gourdy hasbeen up for about 3 years now and this is the first bear attack.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2016, 05:12:08 am »
I know you like your wild critters around Pat, but I ant sure about have a bear that close, they ant dogs or Cats.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2016, 08:26:22 am »
I think that bear was sending you a message with Gourdy.  Maybe it's time to get a bear tag Pat. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2016, 08:50:17 am »
I hate to say it Pat, but I kinda gotta go with Pappy and Osage. I know you know more about living with bears than I do, but I hope they share your respect for your family the same as you do for theirs. I know your no dumbie and enjoy watching them but a little fear of humans might be a good thing. I hope this doesn't offend you but I'd sure hate to see you or your loved ones hurt. They are probably no more dangerous than a lot of humans but some of them need to be scared off too.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2016, 09:32:21 am »
I'm not offended at all. We've lived here 26 years. Any time we have a personal encounter with a bear the bear always ran off, even a big sow with 3 cubs a few years ago. They are always active this time of year looking to fatten up before winter. Most of the time we find bear scat it is full of bird seed, their #1 food source this time of year. Looks like we will have a good acorn crop this year so bear activity will slow down a bit because of that.
 In the city limits of Asheville the DNR has tagged 30 to 40 bears that live inside the city. They raid dumpsters , trash cans and bird feeders but seem to leave people alone.
 We aren't being stupid about these bears but we do live with them and respect them and what they are capable of if provoked. I've had a compost pile here since we move here in 1990 and the bears have never bothered it, crows and coons yes but not the bears(at least not so far).