Author Topic: martin recurve  (Read 1259 times)

Offline bowsandroses

martin recurve
« on: August 30, 2016, 02:11:53 am »
Hey folks been a while. I'm wondering if any body knows anything about old Martin re curves.  I have a Martin MX350 I am trying to get some info on and I can't find any thing on it. If anyone has any idea it would be greatly appreciated thanks. Hugh
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: martin recurve
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 10:10:58 am »
What info are you looking for?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 12:15:33 pm »
Martin is a good company.  I've owned a couple of their bows.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:37:45 pm »
I would kind of like to know when, where and who made it. popularity in its era and an idea of worth any of the above would be more than I have, any history would help. I have had it for several years and seldom shoot it as well as 3 other re-curves all but one of which are from the 60's. This Martin I asume would be from the same era. They all shoot well but I only hunt with my self bow and rarely shoot any thing I don't hunt with, rather just collect for the history.
   A gentle man my wife works with wants to trade me his aluminum bow for one of my old re-curves. He wants to shoot and I don't want him to shoot the aluminum prone to blow bow, so fair trade I just have to decide which I don't want to part with the least. I have it narrowed down to this Martin and my Shakespeare and a little history may help me decide both are in good shape and shoot very well. The Shakespeare is a Root design made early Aug. 1969 I was born Aug 15 1969 if I find the Martin can top that Then I'll cut the cord on my birth mate. :'( :o
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 04:32:42 am »
Those old Martin's were the Damon Howatt designs. I don't know much about the dollar value but they are regarded as some of the top bows of their era and great shooters. Damon Howatt was a well respected bow maker but he died young, the Martin company in Walla Walla WA bought all of his designs and manufactured in the Howatt facility. You might find some cross reference info by searching Damon Howatt.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 09:01:58 am »
Larry Hatfield, formerly a principal part of Martin's traditional bow manufacturing scene is over at the Stickbow site and could answer your questions.

Martin went belly up but there has been talk about someone resurrecting the traditional facility.