Author Topic: How is this tillered?  (Read 4084 times)

Offline FilipT

Re: How is this tillered?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 09:44:15 am »
Everything is ok, thickness taper was produced by thinning down limb in each segment to a measure according to rough estimate drawing made in AutoCAD.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 10:04:30 am »
Looks like your ok.  As a suggestion, and this is something that lot's of seasoned guys have talked about, thickness taper needs to be smooth from handle to tip.  Take your thumb and index finger and run them along the top and bottom edge of the limb,each side.  Eyes closed if it helps.  You can feel any thin or thick spots and address them early on.  Knots will change the equation a bit, but just factor them in.  Thin spots can be an ender if they are not dealt with early on, and the above can help you detect them way early on.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:58:36 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 11:13:57 am »
I always do that technique you described. After making rough work to the lines with draw knife, I use sandpapers and planes, sometimes even electrical plane to make really flat surface on the belly of limbs. There is this tool which I don't know how is called in English that has sides perfectly aligned on the 90 degrees from each other. I use that tool to see if everything is flat.

What to do with knot ends on belly? You can see there is a "dot" on belly picture. That is other end of knot that is on back of the bow. I passed over belly side and made that flat. Is that error? I never encountered knot so deep. If I leave that dip stiff, as after all its only 2 inches wide or so, could I avoid problems
 if there are problems?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 11:46:26 am »
I totally ignore knots on the belly. Be careful not to rip them apart but aside from that, tiller right thru them.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 03:20:51 pm »
I really smoothed whole limbs and of course with it that knot on belly side. So just tiller it as a bow without knots?

Offline Strichev

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 03:34:03 pm »
Not that I have much experience, but I ignore knots on the belly. Leaving it stiffer didn't work well for my first bow; it took set between two stiffer areas marked by knots. And that's with yew.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 03:47:10 pm »
Maybe a little flat around the area, but that is a judgment call.  I prefer not to leave an area flat if I don't need to.  If you are concerned, just a bit flat, otherwise tiller right thru it.  At that length, you should be fine.  Again we are talking about knots on the belly.  This one is a knot on the belly, but also a knot on the back which is different.  Knots on the belly, ignore them for the most part.  Knots on the back have to be taken into account.  Wider around the knot, leave flat if you have to.  Flawless back around the knot.

Remember also that thicker wood wont bend as far as thinner wood.  It will take set or break.  Breaking will be what you need be concerned with because of the knot.  That is the reason I mentioned thickness taper earlier.  My opinion, you don't want a big gob of extra wood tucked up inside that knot.  The extra width should ideally be the modifier giving you more wood AROUND it.  Having said allllll of that, this looks like a non issue at that length and it being close to the tips.  Just trying to give you food for thought.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 04:45:25 pm »
Its 50 cm far from tips, not one feet as I said in beginning. I worked back around the knot good and I left enough of bulge around the knot as you can see on belly side photo so I think this will be alright.
Unfortunately I will need to wait maybe a month to start working on it, after all its green wood.