Author Topic: String tension  (Read 1186 times)

Offline sleek

String tension
« on: August 28, 2016, 03:58:13 pm »
If you increase it, did you increase the horsepower or torque of the bow? The next question is, do you want the fades midlimb or tips to be where the most string tension comes from? Think reflex?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

Re: String tension
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 04:25:53 pm »
To take a stab at it and expose my line of thinking. All this assumes a well tillered bow.

I believer the fades and inner limb are what give you your string tension. They are the stiffer part and set the angle for tje limbs. I believe anything you do to the inner limbs affacts the torque of of the bow and as a direct result and perhaps redundantly stated, early draw weight. Because  early draw weight is so directly affected by the inner limbs Id say that is where your string tension comes from.

I believe the tips produce your horsepower, as they are the faster moving parts. They determine more of your final end of the fd curve as that part of it is what is affected so much bu being whip tillered or stiff levers or recurves. So id wager that reflex in the tips will increase your hp ( speed ) of the bow, but  in trying to carry  on with the car analogy, I wonder if that decreases your torque offerings of the inner limb? Would midlimb be the mid range of this machine and be perhaps the best place to reflex a bow?

In an effort to gather my thoughts, I am typing so forgive my rambling.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 04:38:55 pm »
   I think instead of thinking in terms of horsepower and torque I like to think stored energy and efficiency. Bows that bend near the handle will have lower overall string angles and tend to store slightly more energy. We also have to deal with more mass in motion as well as more bending limb which gives an opportunity for vibration on the limbs. The elliptical tiller seems to give us the best of both worlds unless you were looking to shoot ungodly heavy arrows, Or extremely light arrows.

We could actually have one thread that could cover everything you do to store energy and all the ways we loose it and the best compromises. 

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 04:42:40 pm »
Thanks badger. I think one thread would be perfect.