Author Topic: Turkish flight bow 43.5 inches  (Read 18487 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Turkish flight bow 43.5 inches
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 03:05:26 am »
Del - do it! I'll help you if needed. These bows are nuts....
Wizard - Thanks man, just make sure your core is flawless, no pins, no grain swirls etc....I wish I could find good enough yew here but flawless yew is a rare beast round here.
Beadman - Thanks, she sure does load up early! It is unlike any other bow I have made. The tube is get the balance between limbs at this point the left limb was just a bit stronger so instead of removing material i'm just letting it 'sweat' a bit. It depends on how bad the imbalance is but normally just a few minutes is enough.
Dictionary - Haha! What is this 'darkside' of which you speak!?

I managed to get out yesterday for a bit of flight shooting with this bow.
 Conditions weren't ideal and the bow started to show a little twist on the lower limb for some reason when I took it to full draw. I had no heat source so couldn't fix it where I was....therefore most shots were at about 23/24 inch draw. It has a heavy tillering string on it at the moment as well.
 The best shots were around 320yds.
 This gives me hope for a properly drawn arrow to go a good way further. Next weekend I will have all the small issues sorted out and will let some fly!
 The bow starts to stack at about 25 ish so there will be a good weigh gain in the last few inches. It shows little string follow even after being strung all afternoon.
 I want to plot the force/draw curve as this bow feels unlike any other I have made with very high initial tension then a definite 'let off' through the mid draw then a fairly stiff ramp up for the last few inches.
 I have high hopes for this bow.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 08:22:23 am »
It's the sinew that puts me off, I've got some red deer leg sinew (from Highland horn), but the prep' seemed such a pain and the fibres weren't very long. When I see the Oriental guys on youtube they have lovely long sinew.
Any pointers for decent sinew in the UK would be appreciated.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 09:45:09 am »
Sweeet Mike.Sounds like a real ripper!!!!!.That is unreal the overdraw your gonna get from that bow.That's putting the composites to work I'd say....lol.Gotta perform like a champ for sure.Nice bow and with not any major problems too.All natural materials too!!!!.
My composite hickory although 60" long has the same type of progession in poundage.A lot early/level off midway/then begin to ramp up to full draw.Pretty sweeet.Lately the bow has been stored in about 45% humidity a few weeks and I can tell it is performing even better than when first made.A pound or two more poundage too then of course.For hunting here it's what I want.A 52# bow performing like a higher poundage bow.I don't really know how what poundage bow it performs at really though.Somewhere in the 60#s range I'm sure.Maybe close to 70#'s.Not sure.A 600 grain arrow @ 175 fps @ 51#'s.I don't have a formula for that....lol.
Del....I've got these 12" to 16" strands I get from elk legs.Could send you a few tendons.A normal tendon will yield around 400 grains.Would a person run into a problem there?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 10:13:47 am »
PM sent.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline loon

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 04:53:13 am »
Aw, good luck with the twist. Can you make a video of yourself correcting it please?

Backstrap sinew is longer... can buy cattle sinew from some places. It's expensive..

Mistakes I made when processing - rough surfaces, being impatient and pounding too hard?, pounding or ripping the sinew apart when wet
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:12:44 pm by loon »

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 02:40:33 am »
If I remember I will but i'm off to the Isle of Skye for some well needed rest and relaxation. Sunshine, climbing and fishing :)
When I get back i'll be shooting this bow properly at full draw and will post the results :)
I've also got a few more hornbows ready to be shot.....:)

mikekeswick

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 02:35:31 am »
So I got this bow straight and had a perfect weather day yesterday. My best shots were around 400yds and the best of the best at about 420yds. I still have the heavy tillering string on which will make a difference. I am still only getting to about 24/25 inches with this as it is quite a bear near full draw....think I need to do some training to shoot this bow properly ;)

mikekeswick

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 12:53:59 pm »
I made a new 10 strand B50 string and shot some 5gpp arrows through the chrono, bow drawn to about 26/27 inches. Average of around 250fps with two of low 270's fps.

Offline sleek

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 01:58:02 pm »
That is absolutely setting those fletching on fire!  Crap! Of course, you know, i got to try to build one in wood that will do that.... hopefully that light an arrow wont be too much like dry firing a bow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2016, 02:15:58 pm »
I remember your dance when you broke 200, what are you going to do for 270?????

Offline sleek

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2016, 02:49:49 pm »
Its a spontaneous thing. Hopefully i wont have been listening to Jimmy Hendrix that day.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2016, 07:33:23 pm »
That's a zippin for sure Mike and just think you hav'nt even come to 29" yet.300 is out there.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 07:54:15 pm »
What are pulling for poundage then?Around 75#'s maybe?
BowEd
Ed

Offline sleek

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2016, 09:01:33 pm »
Im am really looking forward to numbers at 30 inches.

mikekeswick

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 01:40:03 am »
This bows max draw is going to be 28. It isn't showing much strain after unstringing so maybe it could be drawn further...but not by me! I need to hit the push ups to be able to handle it easily. Shooting light flight arrows requires a perfect release (thumbring helps here) and the ability to shoot more weight....