Author Topic: Bow #001 - Vine Maple 50# @ 28"  (Read 11789 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Re: Bow #001 - Vine Maple 50# @ 28"
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 06:18:05 pm »
Hey, thanks guys.  I appreciate the feedback. 

I did increase the brace height up to 6.5" and found the handshock lessened a little, but the wrist slap was less.  I think you're right, I have to work on my form.  My recurve seems to have been less forgiving of my form.  Too, the bow is much quieter now as well; with less feel of stack.  Major difference made with a change in brace height -- not sure why I had it set so low anyway.

Working on #002 and #003 now, and its going much more efficiently.  That first one is an absolute bear to get off the bench.  Though I'm finding myself much more keen (aka Anal) on things as I'm building these. 

Too, I don't expect to pretty the next ones up as much - After the first one, I've found myself less into flash and more into the true bow.  I think I had to pretty up the first one just to give it that special-ness.  :)

Thanks again for the feedback.

Mike

Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 12:35:25 am »
Masterfully exicuted sir! that looks like a challenging stave for your first! beautiful work! aww heck, its allready been said. ditto to all of the above!

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

snakebow

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 12:25:43 pm »
Really nice bow. I have a couple of VM billitts coming to me from a friend of mine. THis will be my first try with VM and my second bow that I have spliced. I hope mine comes out as good as yours.

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2008, 10:02:14 pm »
Thanks Burnt Hill Archer and snakebow - its been a blast and quite a learning experience.  Having a great time with it.  Thanks for the comments.

I've been out shooting it this afternoon - what a complete kick it is to shoot something you've created!  I'm looking forward to buying deer/elk tags this year as I have one for my son on the bench now. We're hoping to get out for some spring turkey to see how they do.  I'm sure it'll guarantee us time in the woods anyway - what more can one ask anyway?  ;D !
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 08:26:45 am »
Beautiful bow on a challenging piece of wood.Very nice.Tiller looks great. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2008, 11:36:21 am »
Thanks Pappy!
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 12:37:31 pm »
  There ought to be a blacktail posing with that bow this fall.Congrats on a nice build.You sure picked a challenge for #1.I'm still cutting my teeth on the straight stuff.
                  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2008, 12:40:59 pm »
Mike: Don't know how I missed this one. That is a fine looking bow, quite a challenge with all the character. I have'nt tried a character bow yet, will soon. Getting out in the woods with your dad is just a bonus. Me and dad went walking and cut some mulberry week ago - I'll have to come up with a meaningful name like that when I get one built from it. Cangrats on your accomplishment :)...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 01:45:39 pm »
Frank - Thanks - that blacktail pic is certainly is the hope.  Though I think even a little rabbit would bring out the same sized grin!!!  (well, maybe not... :))

Cowboy - Thanks - I didn't realize just how tough it was until attempt #2a hinged a miserable death and #2b is giving a challenging grief.  Not sure how many renditions it'll take before #2 gets out.  Give credit where credit's due on the vine maple stuff!!  Those guys that pump out the VM beauties have some real skills.  dang, this is tough stuff to work!!  :)   
Love your Osage recurve too!  Maybe we'll have to work a trade one of these days - VM and Osage - my next challenge is to "chase a ring" on a log.  Good luck on BOM - that is one beauty of a bow you have there!!
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2008, 05:06:41 pm »
Thanks Mike! Same to you :). I have made a trade Osage for VM, just haven't gathered up the courage to attack that peice of wood yet ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.