Author Topic: Finishes and sealing  (Read 1413 times)

Offline kid bow

Finishes and sealing
« on: August 25, 2016, 04:53:40 am »
So I have built two bows for a couple who are friends of the family. There son has past away a little while ago and he was a dear friend of mine. I want to do a dual stain kinda deal where it's light at the tips and gets darker towards the handle. I'm going to be using a wood burner tool to burn the phrase "for the loving bond between a father and son" in to bow limbs on the belly side and fill them in with a gold paint. Any advice at all for these bows?
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline loon

Re: Finishes and sealing
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 05:22:39 am »
fuming?

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 05:54:56 am »
I think that's what it's called. Light color at the tips progressively getting darker.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 06:20:59 am »
That's a sunburst. Stain the whole bow and use 0000 steel wool to fade in the tip color. Or, you can use two colors of stain and do the same thing.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 06:25:41 am »
That's a sunburst. Stain the whole bow and use 0000 steel wool to fade in the tip color. Or, you can use two colors of stain and do the same thing.

Awesome thanks pearly

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 06:29:58 am »
If you ask me? One color steel wooled looks best. Try it on arrows to, looks really nice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 09:59:58 am »
I do my fade jobs with one or two shades of stain and I "drag" the stain from dark to light

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 11:51:49 am »
Does anyone have a Youtube link to doing this? I've tried both ways and failed miserably both ways. Maybe if I saw someone do it, it would click in.