Author Topic: Overkill  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Gunnar B.

Overkill
« on: August 23, 2016, 12:58:02 am »
I was talking to my friend who is a archery guru modern and primitive and he says his hunting rig with a long bow is 77# at 32 inches im still new but doesnt that seem overkill I'd like to hear thoughts and maybe someone explain this.
Gunnar
Macomb county Michigan
Southern boy who lives in the Midwest

Offline sleek

Re: Overkill
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 02:25:37 am »
Simple, he is probably tall and strong!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline loon

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 02:33:06 am »
The only and real cons I can think of, with longer draws (ear/past ear vs corner of mouth), is that it takes longer to draw and is more movement that could spook game.. and it may be harder to be accurate than with a shorter draw (debatable)

pros: more energy to break through an animal/potentially faster arrow... accuracy?(depending on archer I imagine) easier to hold full draw?

Weight has been discussed already, tl;dr it seems like more than 55#@28" doesn't make sense for most people?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:46:10 am by loon »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 06:12:17 am »
No such thing as over-kill, only over-bowed. If he is comfortable and accurate then Id say he isn't over-bowed.  How tall is he?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 08:49:21 am »
Many states require at least 40# draw weight for hunting. I believe 45# to 55# is the norm but over that and under that can be effective. The shooter's ability, good arrow flight and scary sharp broadheads are more important than just draw weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 03:00:41 pm »
I'm 6'1" to 6'2" with ape index of about ~1 and I'd probably start hunting with 27-28" but may experiment with longer draws

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 04:09:24 pm »
It almost sounds like he took his wheelie bow shooting technique and transferred it to a longbow. 

When I shoot my compound, I draw 65# @ 32 inches and anchor at the back of my jaw. I tried the long draw and low anchor point when I first started primitive and had zero consistency. I brought my draw down to 28-29" and anchor point to under my eye and bingo I had groups again. My comfortable draw weight is about 10# less as well.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna