Author Topic: Latest guava  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Allask

Latest guava
« on: August 23, 2016, 11:48:57 am »

Offline Allask

Re: Latest guava
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:55:03 am »
64", 58#@28", koa tip overlays, koa arrow pass inlay, hemp handle wrap, rattler skin. Moved to big island hawaii so working the guava, good stuff. You all know Mannys bows, he's the master with this stuff. Have lots of staves drying. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:40:58 pm by Allask »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 12:20:22 pm »
Id like to see it drawn. The finish work looks very clean and nicely done. I can appreciate that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline loon

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 02:12:22 pm »
mm guayava

Nice work

Offline Allask

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 02:33:56 pm »
Best I could do on drawn pic

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 02:57:40 pm »
Those tips have a sharp bend, and in the full draw pic they are straight.   ???  Maybe its the angle of the pics.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 03:13:03 pm »
I've got two holding up beans in the garden, one made by the Master and the other by Ryan O'Sullivan. Both let go with no warning after shooting them a bunch.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Allask

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 04:22:27 pm »
The bends in the tips are not recurve, they are lateral, snakes bends. Mullet where are you located? Dry climate? This wood should act like hickory and get stronger as it dries more. Hard to get it really dry here eastside= wet side.

Offline Allask

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 05:38:10 pm »
Tension failures? Both break same?

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 05:43:53 pm »
I like it a lot. Wouldn't mind seeing an unbraced side profile photo. (And braced too, if you want.)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 09:46:06 pm »
Manny's came in a trade with 3 or 4 frets on the belly. Finally broke after about 35 shots. Ryan's was the pretiest, smooth shooting bow I'd shot in a while. He gifted me it at the Classic and I shot it all 4 days I was there.Got it home and shot it almost everyday for a couple of weeks and the top limb let go in a clean breal across the belly. Really hated to lose that one.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 10:18:43 pm »
I made a nice bow from a guava stave from Manny. It shot well. I think I had it marked 56#@26". Later I found out my scale was off by 10#. I gave the bow to Steve Parker(Hillbilly)and he had trouble shooting it. It was at least 65#@26". That guava bow is still together but it hasn't been shot much but who's gonna shoot it.  ;D
Another snaky guava stave Manny sent me turned into Swiss cheese.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allask

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 12:07:48 am »
If I remember right Pat I read something about that stave with bugs right? It was a sister stave to one Manny finished or maybe both your staves came from same tree. Mullet, I fretted a kids bow right off after heavy heat treat when I first got here, just to see what the wood could handle. I have a bunch of kids so I usually make my first bow using new wood or new design and let them shoot it to pieces. It fretted and then splintered above frets, so after that they all get backed if they're getting skins. Haven't fretted any including unbacked, I've used a ton of black locust living in california and oregon, fretted my share for sure. Now I go nice and slow.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 01:36:13 am »
That is quite a lateral kink, looks like it didn't effect the stability at all.  Nice F/d, and beautiful work all around.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 12:44:40 pm »
Looks nice, hope she holds up and serves you well on the local swine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.