Author Topic: Del's Wonky Hazel  (Read 5253 times)

Offline FilipT

Re: Del's Wonky Hazel
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 11:52:16 am »
Del, I don't mind mm, after all I am studying engineering and I am from Croatia, so actually bonus points for you!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 12:14:36 pm »
Nice bend, nice wiggles, nice gesture and the pants are OK.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FilipT

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 12:21:59 pm »
Btw, my next hazel will be this "neolithic style" like yours, I really like that profile.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 02:25:45 pm »
I am blessed to have one of Del's hazel bows and after two years the bark is still as much an integral part of the bow as the day it was made! 

The bark on mine reminds me of nothing so much as the skin of a baked potato.  And with the creamy white color of the wood underneath, it is all I can do to not slather it with butter and sour cream! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 02:29:18 pm »
Really nice bow Del, I very much like the bark on, looks great  8).

Ruddy.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 04:11:41 pm »
I would also try leaving the bark on, hazel bark is much rougher here when compared to Del's bow here.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 04:49:09 pm »
Nice bow nice deed !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 11:38:39 pm »
Beautiful character bow Del, that's a pretty awesome idea.  I love the tips and that front profile.  F/D is pretty nice too

Offline freke

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 02:23:20 am »
Nice as always:)

May I ask what the diameter u used? The handle is stiff?  I have build some hazelnuts over the years(big fan of hazel) and about all with some degree of flex in handle, mostly because I built on thinny thinny wood, what's your opinion about size and handle?

I find it realy nice with bark on, i have never try this exept leave reminants - I will try bark next time:)

mikekeswick

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 03:49:32 am »
That looks like a beauty from here Del. :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 04:11:21 am »
Nice as always:)

May I ask what the diameter u used? The handle is stiff?  I have build some hazelnuts over the years(big fan of hazel) and about all with some degree of flex in handle, mostly because I built on thinny thinny wood, what's your opinion about size and handle?

I find it realy nice with bark on, i have never try this exept leave reminants - I will try bark next time:)
It was about 2 1/2" diameter. I was working on the Ishi measurement of 3 fingers width fir hunting 4 fingers for war  :)
On the blog there's a close up of the grip and you can see the central pith, which gives an idea of the size of the log.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/wonky-hazel-finished.html
The actual log is shown leaning against my car in this blog entry.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/pleasantly-tired-this-morning.html
Del
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:14:45 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline scp

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 10:55:23 am »
It takes guts to give such a wonky bow to a glass bow shooter. It must be your soft heart that makes you so brave. Well done!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 11:34:10 am »
It takes guts to give such a wonky bow to a glass bow shooter. It must be your soft heart that makes you so brave. Well done!
She's won shoots with a Boo backed Yew of mine so she's good with any bow :)
Classy lady
Del

Offline FilipT

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 12:15:41 pm »
Del, not to derail your topic but I just wanted to say I am almost finished with roughing out this neolithic type bow from hazel. I cut that hazel today.
Unfortunately, lots of bark came off, so I removed it all, but doesn't matter, I really like the shape and tomorrow or day after it, will be put to dry completely in this half finished state.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 02:35:27 pm »
Del, not to derail your topic but I just wanted to say I am almost finished with roughing out this neolithic type bow from hazel. I cut that hazel today.
Unfortunately, lots of bark came off, so I removed it all, but doesn't matter, I really like the shape and tomorrow or day after it, will be put to dry completely in this half finished state.
Yeah, I just dunno with the bark thing... I was expecting it to come off as it was cut in the Summer. I've given up trying to second guess wood... bit like Mrs Cat :-* (I never said that! ducks and runs for cover)
Del