Author Topic: Arrow rack  (Read 4483 times)

Offline DC

Arrow rack
« on: August 21, 2016, 09:10:04 pm »
OK I've built a bow rack, now I'm looking at my arrows. I've got 30 or so of different spines. I have a strapped together pile of tubes that works for shafts and stuff in the shop but it's hardly decorative. I've seen lots of pictures of arrow displays, with the arrows in a fan shape but that's hardly feasible for 30+ arrows. The picture shows my present storage scheme. Hardly optimal use of a good chair. Any ideas??

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Arrow rack
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 09:32:37 pm »
I stick mine in a piece of foam insulation target points and broad heads it's not that visually pleasing but you could drill some holes in a nice piece of wood just the right size for your target point maybe even at slightly different angles so they would fan out. I think I'm going to try that myself unless someone post something I like better
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 09:52:26 pm »
Art Butner posted a beautiful cabinet style arrow rack a few years ago with flip out doors like a book that would hold a dozen in each door. Maybe it's still on here if you do a search. If not, when I go to SC next month I will take a picture of the one Chris Cade made and post it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline unkieford

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 10:28:03 pm »
At our house we store them in tall cylindrical vases, from ikea. They look nice, and stay damage free.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 11:54:43 pm »
My storage of arrows is like unkiefords.I used cardboard carpet tubes with wooden plugs into the bottom.With enough tubes a person can get them organized.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 12:39:29 am »
Maybe I can find some bamboo to make tubes out of :) :)

Offline loon

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 03:13:21 am »
That tube is what Koreans use

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 07:30:50 am »
if you like the turkey fan tailed look you could build 3 or 4 of them to separate arrows by spine and stack them together where they are 3 deep to give it a thicker look? sounds like it may look nice. add a fancy leather or wooded box to the front to store arm guard gloves etc.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 09:01:59 pm »
Trivia here....I've got a friend archer here who when he hunts geese during migration he uses a 5 gallon pail full of arrows to shoot landing geese with on the fly....lol.Quite a guy!!!He uses tubes to store his arrows too otherwise.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 09:54:42 pm »
On my walk today I noticed a Big Leafed Maple that had blown down last winter. The bark has dried and lifted and I could peel off pieces. I have a few potential tubes soaking in the pond. If it softens a bit I can form it into 3 tubes for the 3 different spines that I use. The tree was about 8" in dia and I'm hoping to skinny it down to about 3-4"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 10:01:01 pm »
Cool....I was always going to do that with a summer cut hickory too sometime.Good luck.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 08:01:41 am »
That would be sweet, be sure to give us some pictures

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 02:16:45 pm »
Sorry this took so long, some hornets decided to nest in the same area I wanted to collect bark. They are rather plain but they do the job. The one on the right is a lot thinner bark so I wrapped a piece of rawhide around it. I'll see how they last.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 02:19:04 pm »
Very cool DC, that looks great

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 08:07:12 pm »
Tulip poplar bark is great for that. In the late spring early summer you can peel off gigantic sheets in one piece. The Seneca people used them to cover their long houses, natures siding I suppose.

Those certainly look better than the shipping tubes I have my arrows in. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna