Author Topic: Osage Ring Thickness  (Read 11944 times)

Offline Joec123able

Re: Osage Ring Thickness
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 10:04:15 pm »
Total bull crap. I guarantee you make two exact same bows, one from thin ringed and one from thick, there would be next to no difference. Anyone who don't want their thick ringed Osage, I will gladly take it lol.
I like osage

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 10:19:21 pm »
I will put you on my trade with list then. But you gadda swap me thin ring stuff.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 10:35:10 pm »
I don't know joe....I see some pretty accomplished guys saying they prefer thin ringed Osage. You saying that ring configuration has no impact? None?
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 10:39:54 pm »
I don't know joe....I see some pretty accomplished guys saying they prefer thin ringed Osage. You saying that ring configuration has no impact? None?

I wouldn't say it has absolutely no effect, I think it could have a very minor effect on the performance but I personally wouldn't bet on it having any huge jump in performance.
I like osage

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 10:42:25 pm »
I will put you on my trade with list then. But you gadda swap me thin ring stuff.

Hey I don't discriminate I like thin or thick rings haha.  8)
I like osage

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 11:01:44 pm »
It should make you a fine bow. Don't worry. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 11:06:14 pm »
Ok. That's backiNg way off from "total bull crap". 

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2016, 11:17:12 pm »
Ok. That's backiNg way off from "total bull crap".

Like i said, there would probably be "next to no" difference. I was just stating my opinion on the subject, then again I'm a nobody with an opinion worth nothing haha, don't take me serious.
I like osage

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 10:32:28 am »
I'm with others in that while I wouldn't necessarily shun a thick-ringed stave, they're never my preference. With osage, as with all other woods, I always prefer thin ringed staves provided the early-to-late ratio strongly favors late wood. If I had a stave like the one you showed, I'd do what sleek does and put it on the trade blanket. I have two osage staves with fairly thicks rings on the trade blanket as we speak, in fact.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 12:03:37 pm »
Joe...I was fine with you jumping out there with your opinion.  "Total bull crap, and I guarantee"...I was just hoping you'd make your case.  Instead you walked it way back.  I've had my biases about this stuff over the years, and some of those things I believed to be true 10 or 20 years ago, I now know that I was wrong then. I'm wrong about something I believe right now.  No shame in discovering your wrong about something and getting right with it. 

Offline sleek

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 12:22:14 pm »
I'm wrong about something I believe right now. 

"But I may be mistaken about that."
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 12:38:30 pm »
Joe...I was fine with you jumping out there with your opinion.  "Total bull crap, and I guarantee"...I was just hoping you'd make your case.  Instead you walked it way back.  I've had my biases about this stuff over the years, and some of those things I believed to be true 10 or 20 years ago, I now know that I was wrong then. I'm wrong about something I believe right now.  No shame in discovering your wrong about something and getting right with it.

Hey, neither one of us is wrong because neither of us actually has a scientific factual case about this.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:58:43 pm by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 01:09:20 pm »
I like thin ringed stuff. I believe they hold heated shaping a bit better and maybe they are bit more resilient, like white wood saplings often are. Id say a good share of the thick ring fans cant chase a ring to save their draw knife, hence the love affair. Aint nothing wrong with that either. To each their own.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 01:15:21 pm »
True enough, but I didn't throw down a guarantee.  You did.  I was just hoping you would back up your argument with something.  Scientific or not.  Here....

#1  about 4 rings per inch.
#2  about 15 rings per inch.   

I made bows from both, and I like them both.  Love them both.  But they are different bows.  The thinner ringed bow having lower mass, took less set and shoots at a higher draw weight than the thick ringed bow.

I have not run either thru a chrono, but I know what I like.  Low set, low mass, hunting weight bows.  3 things that are sometimes difficult for me to achieve together.  The thinner ringed stuff has done that for me more often than the thick.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 01:23:42 pm »
I agree with that PEARL.  All of it really.  The thick ringed stuff is much easier to work.  That is why I sought it out early on.  The thin ringed Osage just holds up better over time, for me anyway.  And lastly, it is a matter of what you like more than anything else.