Author Topic: Heavy Weight Bows  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Chippintuff

Heavy Weight Bows
« on: August 14, 2016, 11:17:43 pm »
How practical is a heavy weight bow? I know the term is relative, but I did not consider hunting with a bow that was over 55# when I was young and strong. Can a hunter keep good accuracy with those bows that are over 85# and especially those over 125#? What shooting techniques have to be changed to get effective use from them (eg. quick release, pull with all four fingers)? Is using such a bow a matter of trade offs?

WA

Offline JEB

Re: Heavy Weight Bows
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 07:26:04 am »
Accuracy is the obvious key to your question.  If an archer can shoot a heavy draw bow with accuracy then I would say use it.  Not many can do that though. I see no need to shoot bows that heavy.  I have been shooting for over 60 years and even in my younger days I stayed right around 45#'s for hunting. My most recent new bow is a 40# Northern Mist longbow that my wife bought me for an anniversary gift.  With my draw length I am right around 43#.  Killed many deer with that bow including stone head kills.  It is all about shot placement.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 10:16:50 pm »
I shoot 60 to 80 very well it helps me to be more relaxed when I practice more often with a heavier bow and back it down later makes drawing the 60# bow and holding if needed smoother. But I still do hunt with it. Like JEB said >ts about accuracy. What may over bow one person maybe comfortable to another.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 10:19:53 am »
Like Jeb, I have done everything I need to do with #45.
Although we don't hunt lions and elephants like
like Howard Hill. The more umph behind an arrow the
flatter the trajectory. More accurate if you can handle
the weight comfortably. Let's say you want to kill a buffalo
or grizzly at 40 yrds.
#60 or better in my book. 2cents
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 09:07:54 pm »
Is this knapping?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 10:55:26 pm »
Thanks for the move Mullet. My mistake.

WA