Author Topic: Duncan Canyon (Sidewinder) Osage  (Read 3699 times)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Duncan Canyon (Sidewinder) Osage
« on: August 13, 2016, 02:18:24 am »
Finally got this piece of osage bending.  Took lots of heat correction, and I heated in about 3" of reflex at about 20" draw.  Hoping to elk hunt it this year.  Thanks to Danny(Sidewinder) again for your generosity.  61" NTN 53#@27".  Mystery wood overlays.  I'll post more pictures when I get the finishing touches on it.  Still a bit stiff out of the upper fade for about 8" I think, comments, suggestions on the tiller?  Also my first bow with a hole.  Its only about the size of a pencil eraser, right in the middle of the bottom limb.  Thanks for looking.
Sam

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 02:40:47 am by Peacebow_Coos »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Duncan Canyon (Sidewinder) Osage
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 07:30:54 am »
Looks really good to me at full draw.Done in good time for hunting season.Good luck.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 08:25:54 am »
Nicely done sir.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 08:32:43 am »
I see the same thing in the upper limb you do. That bottom appears to have a weak spot out towards the tip? I looked back at the bow unbraced and don't see it in that pic. Your close!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 08:52:51 am »
I'm seeing what PD said. Is that the hole in the lower mid limb and is it left stiff there on purpose? It seems like the weak spot just past mid limb may be cause of it being stiff in the middle.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 09:46:49 am »
Great looking bow. Nice work
Northern Ute

Offline JonW

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 10:22:49 am »
I'm looking at the pics on my phone so I don't have the best perspective. I agree about the top limb. It looks to me like the bottom limb is a little thinner out on the end possibly making it a little weak. You are nearly there.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 10:38:51 am »
I'm seeing what Pearl is seeing if you have to remove any more wieght I'd avoid that spot and maybe blend it in. About 9" from tip of lower limb maybe it's a funny kink or something but I don't see it in unbraced picture
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bowmo

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 04:22:45 pm »
Yea I see that little spot on the lower limb too. Looks great unbraced tho, certainly isn't too upset about it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 08:20:31 pm »
You did good, but I see a flat spot above the weak spot Pearlie mentioned on the bottom limb. Could be one did the other.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 08:45:35 pm »
Got a pic of the hole in the limb? Is that where the weak spot is?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 02:58:45 am »
I will give that top limb some inner scrapes, thanks guys.  The bottom limb has been a challenge.  It started out with a deflex at the hole, and after reflexing it was severely reflexed at the hole...

I left the hole stiff because, I'll admit it, I was scared  :D  and as a result I think there ended up a bit of set on either side, with the knot itself still reflexed?  Here is a better photo of the unbraced area.

And the hole

You guys think I should take some off that knot then, or knot?

Thanks for looking and for the advice.

Oh and I did get greedy and made two bows out of the piece...I'll post the shorty when it's finished also.
Sam

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 04:38:20 pm »
I'd probably just take a couple of scrapes in either direction from that weak spot and shoot it to see where it's at. That's just me though. Doesn't look like it took any set there so I wouldn't worry about it.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 02:25:24 am »
I'm only seeing that kink standing out on the left side FD picture. The one above looks better to me. I think it might just be a bit of character causing it. There is a really slight dip in the unbraced pic at that spot too from what I can see. It's hard to see it compared to where the knot is.  As long as it doesn't get any worse I'd say you're good.

Nice bow. Good luck with the buglers.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 07:12:15 am »
I always leave the knots a little stiff, looks good to me. After all it ant glass it's a stick of wood.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good