Author Topic: fancy fire wood or fixable?  (Read 7857 times)

Offline sailordad

fancy fire wood or fixable?
« on: March 01, 2008, 05:19:37 pm »
well not having a good day so far today.i was scraping my limbs to today and put the tillering string on and put it on the stick.
i was excersing the limbs after scraping,thought things were going my way when i heard one of the most terrible sounds ever,  " CRAAAACK" :'( >:(
 oh s*#t i thought. took the bow off the tiller stick and found this not so pretty sight. now i have to ask all the experts here,whos opinions are so valued by us newbies.
 can this be fixed, or did i just spend the last 6 1/2 weeks making fancy fire wood. the fracture is just below midlimb about 5 inches above the whoopde-do.
any input would be very appreciated.

thank you all very much.

PEACE,
                                                                                                         Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Kegan

Re: fancy fire wood or fixable?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 05:30:21 pm »
What kind of wood is it? I assume that it should be pretty fixable with some Titebond and a cloth/silk backing.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 05:35:55 pm »
the guy that gave it to me said that it was shag bark hickory,i can tell its hickory but cant tell the diff between them.
if not fixable would any be willing to part with a stave?  i was looking into Osage but after this mishap,i think I'll stick to hickory or something easy like that until i get more experience.
i am sure we could work something out for stave.

PEACE,
                                                                              Tim

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 05:39:25 pm »
 It smells real good BBQing ribs. :-\ :'(
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 05:41:32 pm »
 I am soo bummed, this would have been my first bow that wasn't a purchesed floor tillerd stave. oh well i guess its like they say,  live and learn if dont shoot it will burn.lol

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 05:46:02 pm »
Glue and silk (or linen or any cloth) should fix it right up. Hickory likes to be bows ;D.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 06:07:45 pm »
Is that on the back?  Was the back grain violated? How did the guy store it after it was cut? Hickory in very strong in tension. I have used hickory backing strips with lots of violations and never had one fail. That is what makes me think it wasn't treated properly after harvest.  I would put it in the corner for now and after a few successful bows, pull it out and decide then. If nothing else it could make a kids bow. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 06:23:49 pm »
Pat B,
yes the fracture is on the back,the back grain does not look violated,the fracture did not go to either edge.
I don't know how it was treated after harvest,there is s a pin knot right where if fractured. the guy that gave me this stave has made several bows from the same tree this came from,flat bow,long bow and a take down bow,all of which are beautiful and great shooters.
i would put it in the corner and try another,except this is the only one i have to work on.
don't have access to trees to cut,a friend had given me an 8 foot hhb log. when split it had severe grain twist,like 120 degrees.
so i guess its off the fabric store,or I'll have to order another floor tillered stave to play with.

thank you.

PEACE,
                                                                                Tim

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 06:41:01 pm »
Done. Fireplace wood as is the tillering stick. Think about putting together a rope and pulley. Easier on the bowyer and the bow. Mine is on my site. See Bow Making Directions. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 08:27:49 pm »
As mullet said smoke some ribs and move on. Also take Jawges advice and build a tillering tree.
Sorry about the break but it does happen and is all part of the adventure.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 10:02:49 pm »
thanks for the replies everyone.
i don't think i'll use for smoking ribs just yet. i'll leave it sit in the proverbial "CORNER OF SHAME" for now.
like ive read on here many times "every try should be a learning experience"
from this i learned to be patient. i have also learned that it is soothing to work on wood. and its also kept my butt away from the t.v. at night.(except friday nights,thats my sci-fi night)

now if'n i was to try and save this. should i fill the fracture with tb3 and wrap it with an innertube,and then put on a linen backing,should i make the back smooth,as it does have bumps and knots sticking up. or try to put the backing material over all the cool stuff and just try to get all the air bubbles and wrinkles out of the material.

i really wanted this to work out as it was going to be a gift for my youngest son before he leaves for boot camp,but i guess i'll still have time to make another,if i find a stave,as he doesn't leave until september.

thanks again to all for the input.

PEACE,
                                                                                                   Tim

Offline Bowjo

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 10:53:43 pm »
Sorry about your bow,I've got one of those corners of shame also.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 11:40:10 pm »
  If I was going to try and salvage it; I'd run the back through a planer till it was through the break completely. Then I'd back it with bamboo or hickory.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 01:02:01 am »
  If I was going to try and salvage it; I'd run the back through a planer till it was through the break completely. Then I'd back it with bamboo or hickory.

I second this....I have saved a few doing this....I bought a Hand Power Planer just for this task....and it works good....then back it with Hickory....glue it up and start Tillering again.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Slivershooter

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 01:24:42 am »
If it were Osage I’d tell you to glue it with Resorcinol or Urac 185 then wrap the broken area with sinew.  Seeing as it is hickory, and I have little experience with that type of wood, you would be best advised to listen to those above.  However, being hard headed, I’d still do it my way.  ;)