Author Topic: Repairs  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Newindian

Repairs
« on: August 16, 2016, 02:01:13 pm »
This is this bows third posting, (first was titled death pics about two years ago). At the time I was to anxious to try anything drastic and ended up just doing a very serious wrap on it. But since then it's just sat on a shelf and occasionally I'd string it and look at the hinge it had on the crack. Now I've decided I have nothing to lose and am going to try a method del suggested: cut out a concave area and glue in a price of wood. My question is how long do y'all thing I should run this, it still needs to go alittle deeper, since it's backed up right against the handle I'm afraid that it'll try real herd to push out the filler piece, what do y'all think about running it all the way to the other side and making it symmetrical?
I like free stuff.

Offline DC

Re: Repairs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 02:20:26 pm »
How thick do you think the patch will be, at it's thickest and how long is the cutout? I'm thinking that a scarf joint is supposed to be 7 to 1 or thereabouts. I've fixed hinges on a few bows by epoxying a splint on the belly with good success but they were only 1/8" or so thick.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 02:57:21 pm »
I always try to completely rasp out any defect, so I'd go the extra 1/16"
It looks like a good long clean patch to me, but take plenty of time to get a good fit.
There is a slight advantage in rasping out a bit more as it will make it slightly flexible at the thin point and thus able to match into the patch better when clamped up.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 02:01:00 pm »
How does this look? And del, there are actually several cracks that run all around the handle. Getting out all of the crack would cut the bow in half, so it's more of deciding where to stop. Because of this I am putting a wrap through the length of the cracks, and because this is mostly covered by the handle I can wrap the joint up to anout the left side of the right side clamp.
Should I use epoxy or tb3?
I like free stuff.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 02:12:47 pm »
Id use epoxy, I think TB3 would slip. If you pull this off and it lasts beyond the pics, it will be the biggest repair of this nature I've seen done. Generally speaking plug fixes are about a 1/10 that size!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 02:16:11 pm »
Epoxy

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 02:31:19 pm »
Looks pretty good, I always use lots of rubber strapping round the ends of the patch to try and get them well stuck down.
Del
BTW I use Resintite, a fine white powder which is mixed with water
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 12:53:49 pm »
Did not work, I let it harden for two days then rasped the patch so that it matched the other side, bent the bow about an inch and it failed, the inch and a half against the handle was a glue to wood failure the rest of it ripped out of the patch.
I like free stuff.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 01:07:47 pm »
I was curious about that. That's a whale of a plug fix. Live and learn!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 01:33:19 pm »
What kind of glue did you use? Like PD said it was an awfully big patch.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 05:09:32 pm »
T-88
I like free stuff.