Author Topic: Ground Blinds?  (Read 5259 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Ground Blinds?
« on: August 06, 2016, 08:34:43 am »
I've always hunted from the ground and until just a few years ago with out a blind but this was always with a shotgun. Obviously my long bow isn't going to work in my gun blind. I'm thinking just natural materials blind but I saw this cardboard blind with mirrors on outside the walls angled down slightly. At first i thought what a joke and only $199 for a piece of shiny cardboard. But later I got thinking sure would be portable easy to set up and might just work. Not sure if I can use brand name but anybody see or use one of these.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Ground Blinds?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 08:46:53 am »
Was it a ghost blind?  They reflect the image of the surrounding brush.  I wonder if it would have a glare from the sun from different angles.  I prefer natural materials.  I gather up dead limbs to make a frame and cut cedar limbs and trees to brush it in. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 09:00:36 am »
Yes it was Osage. I was thinking same thing but if it works I like the portability of it. I was thinking cedars also

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 09:12:09 am »
I've wondered about making my own blind like that.  You can get a roll of Reflective Mylar Film for $30.  Glue it on some cardboard and it should be about the same as the $200 ghost blind.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 09:29:15 am »
It probably is important to angle top of walls out to keep sun reflections down and reflect your surroundings. Sure does seem like they could sell them for about $45 but there's big $$$$ in hunting stuff. For $45 I'd probably try one  for $199 not unless I know it's going to be bulletproof
Bjrogg

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 05:38:45 pm »
Its heavy and not very good for Bow hunting unless you invest in the other panels that make it taller.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 06:52:31 pm »
Breaking up your outline is important so good back cover and a little bit in front should be good for a ground bind. A blown down tree or tree top works too if it is in a good location. Setting up on the down wind side of a trail is a good place to hunt.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 02:20:09 pm »
BJ, if I had your land and set up? I would build 6-8 solid, tall brush blinds and hunt them exclusively. Id skip the tree stands and purchased blinds. Those Ghost blinds are heavy, awkward and expensive.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 07:54:46 pm »
If you hunt private property and can build natural ground blinds is the way to go......You just cant set up a ground blind anywhere and expect to see deer ....you need to do some serious scouting before setting them up.   I actually hunted an area for a few years before deciding on the location of my ground blinds. 
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 09:01:29 pm »
I was taking all the totally dead ash trees out of my fence rows and got an idea for a long lasting natural ground blind. I strategically located about 10 stumps with the dirt shock out in a nice sized semicircle that I have nice room shoot from behind.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 09:02:44 pm »
Here's a couple pictures

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 09:36:58 pm »
Looks like a pretty good brush pile there.
Digging an 18" deep hole big enough to put your feet in and sit down to shoot behind cover worked for me once.Even tall grass for cover.Gotta practice shooting sitting down then though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 09:48:52 pm »
I was thinking about the digging holes to Ed I don't know why but for some reason I seem to shoot better sitting down or on one knee. A couple things I think I'm going to like about this stump ground blind I think I might be able to shoot through some holes sitting and have enough cover to stand if I want to. I also think the wildlife will be comfortable with it and it should last for many years.
Bjrogg

Offline JustJake

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 04:37:25 am »
I hunt on the ground also. I like to move around and hunt where ever I find a good spot. For years now I use fencing as a lightweight portable blind. About 8-10 ft of 36" tall garden fence with grass woven through it rolls up to about 12" diameter. I weave a couple sharpened sticks through each end to stake it out.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 08:33:04 am »
I like natural materials, this one is made behind a dirt hump a dozer pushed up on the edge of what was a log yard that I turned into a food plot. I had another across the plot for different wind directions. I dug out a flat spot to set my chair in both of the blinds on this plot.

It has holes to shoot through;

This one has a bunch of brush tied to existing small saplings, again with shooting holes. Every time I hunted it I would cut an arm load of brush on my way to the blind to fill in empty spots. This blind is in a funnel in a deep hollow that is full of white oaks. I killed my biggest buck to date out of it at 8 yards.