Author Topic: European Hophornbeam (Ostrya carpinifolia)?  (Read 4464 times)

Offline Strichev

European Hophornbeam (Ostrya carpinifolia)?
« on: August 02, 2016, 04:08:49 pm »
I've been looking for bow woods less rare than yew and over here the Hophornbeam (Ostrya carpinifolia) seems to grow very straight and is really abundant. Does anyone here have any experience with it? Is it even suitable for a medium weight bow? I hear it's very compression strong but somewhat weak on the tension side of things.

Offline FilipT

Re: European Hophornbeam (Ostrya carpinifolia)?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 04:41:11 pm »
Where are you from?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 07:20:31 pm »
I don't know if there is any difference but I really like North American Hop Hornbeam. I've made a couple bows from it I like and I know many other people have to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 01:41:11 am »
It is good wood, dense, hard and very nice to work/sand. However the bows I've made from it haven't been very 'special'. I've done quire a few different designs but haven't hit upon one that gives great performance. My flatbows from it have been shooting around 165 -170 instead of 175 - 180fps. Heat treating doesn't seem to do much either.

Offline Strichev

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 02:14:50 am »
Where are you from?

Južni sosed, kako kaj pri vas?  ;D
I'm your northern neighbor - if you're from Croatia that is. (English... za svaki slucaj)

I don't know if there is any difference but I really like North American Hop Hornbeam. I've made a couple bows from it I like and I know many other people have to.
Bjrogg

Well, I'll try making a few bows and see how it goes. I suspect not so well, and I should probably stick to hazel, ash and  Cornus mas. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 02:27:31 am by Strichev »

Offline FilipT

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 02:47:18 am »
Slovenija? Pozdrav iz Hrvatske!

I never actually saw e. hophornbeam here. It is called "crni grab" here, is that same name used by you?

Offline Strichev

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 04:16:51 am »
Hmm, dilema: kako da pričamo - na slovenačkom, hrvatskom ili možda čak i engleskom? Vjeroatno bi bilo fer do drugih da pričamo na engleskom. Uglavnom...

we call it "črni gaber" and it's very common over here near the border in the valley of Kolpa (well, the part of it I know at least); I think it's one of the first trees to grow over abandoned pastures and such.

Which part of Croatia are are you from?

Offline FilipT

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 06:34:09 am »
English, for the sake of others haha. Crni, črni, same thing, I didn't see it in real life. You said that its very common near border of Kolpa, that is pretty flat terrain, am I right? Maybe it favors flat terrain!? Are trees you saw near Kolpa or in flat forest of valley?

I live near Karlovac, if you know where that is. Its all hills around and than it goes flat once you go to east. That is probably why I haven't seen e. hophornbeam.

Btw, common hornbeam (grab) is maybe better solution for you. Its not related to hophornbeam and its reputation is like hickory, supposedly it forgives mistakes. Never tried it though, but I plan to cut some this autumn.

Offline Strichev

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 01:51:18 am »
Nah, it's quite the opposite of flat. I'm further upstream  and the valley is narrow. Gorski kotar is near across the border and a bit upstream too. It's odd that you don't have "crni grab" there. Unless I mistook it, but I don't think so. Maybe you guys in Croatia have maps like this:

http://www.zgs.si/fileadmin/zgs/main/img/CE/gozdovi_SLO/Karte/Crni_gaber_2.JPG (črni gaber)

http://www.zgs.si/slo/gozdovi_slovenije/o_gozdovih_slovenije/karte/index.html (map of common trees)

Anyhow, hophornbeam is supposedly really good in compression. I'm thinking about maybe using it with sinew.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:13:47 am by Strichev »

Offline FilipT

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 07:15:12 am »
Very cool map, didn't know that existed. There is crni grab for sure, but I haven't seen it yet. As its obvious from map it favors hilly terrain. I will come across it some day I am sure.

There is also curious thing. If you read about "jarebika", or "rowan", (very good bow wood), it says that in Croatia its native wood and common. But here is the thing, I have yet to see it in real life and also meet a Croat who has even heard of it! Irony that it says its common when almost none have heard about it or saw it. 

Offline Strichev

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 05:45:08 am »
Yeah, I think I've only seen it a few times. I've seen more yews than rowans.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 06:45:56 am »
I have two yews thin like cigarette planted in vase around house. There is also bush of yew planted 60 years ago when they made industrial zone. But no yews in forest.
Where did you see yews? Do they tend to grow among other conifers or in mixed forest?

Offline Strichev

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 12:09:57 pm »
In the old days they must have grown everywhere; tisa is a surprisingly stubborn tree. Nowadays I mostly seem to find them in places where commercial exploitation of the forests never took place. This usually entails steep inaccessible terrain. I found some in a gorge like tributary of Kolpa (quite close to the water, actually) and in and under some steep cliff like overhangs. Conifers, mixed forest... it doesn't seem to mind. But most of the time it's too twisted. And I have a really hard time deciding to cut such a rare (I hear it's almost extinct) and beautiful tree. Maybe a branch or two.

Now that I think about it, I found most of them pretty much in places where chamois live. I believe that would be "dvikoza" in Croatia.

You should try looking for places that have "tisa" in their name. Old people tend to know where they grow too.

Also, somewhat hilariously, in front of a kindergarten playground in my hometown.  :o I guess the really small kids know not to eat those berries with seeds in them or something. :D It's really large and straight with many thick enough offshoots and nice straight fat branches. Really healthy looking too. But it's right under a surveillance camera and in the field of view of a few other cameras. With many people around almost all the time (including 3 a.m.)

One of the branches is disturbing a walkway and the entire tree is blocking a streetlamp. I'm waiting for the town decided to cut that obtrusive branch; I'll be the first begging for it. Otherwise they'll probably just grind it up for fire pellets or something.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 12:14:35 pm by Strichev »