Author Topic: A good sign  (Read 2233 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
A good sign
« on: July 31, 2016, 10:42:28 am »
Here's a doe and her triplets out front.That's usually a good sign or indicator of the enviornment here this spring and summer.The heat wave has broke a bit here too which is nice.
Time to check old deer stands and natural blinds for the hunting season coming up here.Some fortunate fellas are going elk hunting this year.That should be a blast.Weather looks good.Talking to friends here who have gone many times with a long bow chances of success are'nt good[public hunting ground/no guide] like about 5 to 10 percent but the remaining 90 to 95 per cent is the experience which is unforgettable too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: A good sign
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 01:48:04 pm »
I live in deer Mecca.  Too many of them really, but I never get tired of watching them.  This was in my back yard yesterday.  Mama nursing her fawn.  I dont get to see that up close too often.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 02:08:18 pm »
Good shot! I've seen them nursing in the field beside me but I've never managed to get a picture.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 02:14:45 pm »
Looks like all the wildlife around here enjoyed this spring and winter. Lots of fawns, rabbits, foxes, ground hogs, turkeys, even a few pheasant. I've heard reports of 2nd hatch in the turkeys again that's 2 years in a row.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 12:28:59 am »
Thanks for posting the cool photos.
The deer crop is doing pretty good
here eating my garden vegies.
That makes them very tasty.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 11:32:33 am »
Slimbob.....Yes Texas is known for deer hunting.I've seen on the outdoor channel quite a few deer ranch hunting areas in Texas.This rock and roll fella owns one I think.I'm sure they try to keep things in good shape there too.Too bad he's not a PA enthusiast.
In Iowa there are some deer farms too raising the genotype large antlered type deer.I'm not a big fan of that really.First it's a fenced in hunt,and secondly the deer farms here do have the chronic wasting disease in them.It can get transferred to the outside deer too.They can touch noses through the fence.
There have been other desimating things happen to Iowa deer in the past though too.Weather related and out of human control.A very dry year in the past had this fly giving deer a thing called black tongue.It killed many adult deer in spots around Iowa.This year has been a fairly favorable year though this year and things look good.
Back in the 60's it used to be news to see a deer here.Nowadays they are almost a problem with a lot of car accidents occuring.
BowEd
Ed

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 04:59:01 pm »
Ed...The deer hunting here has been completely transformed from what it was when I was a boy.  North Texas had very few deer except in a few remote locations.  The Hill Country in Central Texas was then and remains over populated with lots of small bodied deer (genetics).  South Texas had the trophies.  As a boy I hunted all over the state, and often went weeks without seeing any deer in some spots.  But that was deer hunting.  Today, it's a big business.  I'm lucky that my son and I have lots of places we can hunt, but most people aren't so lucky.  Day hunts have become a thing with hunters only because it gets them in the field at a reasonable cost.  The Hill Country ranches are more and more turning to high fences with imported deer.  Lot's of big deer on these ranches.  I know because I have helped with the management hunts on several and have seen 200 B&C class deer.  They can charge big money, and who can blame them, but it has just changed Whitetail hunting in this area.  In some ways for the better, but in many ways, not so much.  These sheds are from a 400 acre high fenced ranch I have access to from time to time.  Very cool that we have these kind of deer, but few will ever gain access to them.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 08:10:29 pm »
I've been told that around here in the 60's if someone saw a deer it was put in the newspaper. I don't remember not seeing deer but we diffenatlly have way more now, also turkey, coyote, geese and those darn ground hogs. About the only animal I think has had a hard time gaining numbers are the pheasants
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 09:38:53 pm »
Horny toads are gone.  They were everywhere when I was a yonker, but I haven't seen one in 30 years.  Bob Whites are scarce as well, but other animals have moved in like the deer and flourished.  Never saw a White Wing Dove as a kid, only Mourning Doves, but I shoot White Wings 10 to 1 now.  I had only read about Caracaras up until 15 years ago and now there everywhere.  No bears around here for more than a century, and one was killed about 70 miles from here a couple of years ago.  Big cats moving in also.  Saw a Cuckoo the other day as well.

Oh, and lets not forget the pigs.  Good Lord there everywhere.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 09:45:01 pm by SLIMBOB »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 12:17:28 am »
Slimbob....Big money stepped in on the deer hunting.Yes you guys got the pigs man!!!!Now wild 150 to 200 class deer are shot here every year if a person wants to put the time in on em.Their out there but most times more than one person knows about them.I know there's some elk farms around too.
bjrogg...Same here about a deer sited in the 60's.Talk of the week at the cafe.
You bet fellas things can change.We still have natural bobwhites and turkey here.Think the DNR transplanted the turkeys in years ago.Same with the otters.Pheasants are few but here too.Northern Iowa has a better population of them into SD but no bobwhites but they got gray partridge.Morning and Ring necked doves are here with a season on em too yet.
Mountain lions are regularly sited.I kinda think it's because of all the deer that are here.Could be wrong.Bear once in a while in NE Iowa.One got hit by a car not long ago.Plenty of coyotes, bobcats,and otter and all those other varmints ground hogs,skunks,possum,and coon.A few badger but more up north where the ground squirrels are.Got these things I call pocket weasels around here I see once in a while too.I'm sure I'm not mentioning some yet but all in all things look good.
Learning to live comfortably amongst them can take time.Feel fortunate but it's what I've always liked so I'm here.
BowEd
Ed

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 03:33:55 am »
I read in a Monthly Paper here in Michigan, that Our DNR believes that Fawn predation is close to 50% from Coyotes  :o ! Sad - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 07:20:40 am »
Yea that's sad.Michigan is a great state for wildlife though.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 08:18:16 am »
chamookman......Sometimes I think the DNR likes to put the scare into the pubilc once in a while.Wonder if you got the timber wolf in the northern parts of Michigan.I know you got plenty of bear.
Here in Iowa at least southern Iowa little dogs and cats are are taken off the yard by coyotes.A person just finds a scrap piece of hide along the fence somewhere.A yard dog should have a little size to them here.An airdale fills the bill there.They are brazenly bold these coyotes.There is a continual open season on them here.Ran and killed by quite a few guys with running dogs.They are on my mind when in the deer stand too and will come into fawn bleets occasionally.
BowEd
Ed