Author Topic: An experamental design(for me anyway)  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Aries

An experamental design(for me anyway)
« on: February 29, 2008, 11:26:55 pm »
As i sit in my shop and wait for my new staves to dry, my eyes wonder to the corner of the shop were my wood pyle lay, i mosyed my may over and began to poke around through the pile un till i pulled out a 74 in 1/4 log with lots of dips, weaves and twists. I think on it for a minute and decided what the heck, i got it down to one good ring bout 1/4 thick and looked at what i had before me. i could get a relatively clean 67" bow out of it, but where is the fun in that, when just beyound the 67" there is a curve in the wood kicks out 2" and about  5 in long, but conveniently comes back into line with what could be the handle afterward...     
   So i decided that since i am already goin out on a kind of figurative limb, i should try some other new things aswell. i am givin this bow(63/1/2") a deep, rigid handle. I am probably gonna make as close to a piramid as i can get, while still keeping the upper limb 3(ish) in. longer. it will most likely end up with a flat belly and sides, so all in all, an oversized  flat-long-torges bow hybrid :P .   Ok, I have never done any thing like this and wanted to here about all the crap i will be runnin into from you guys first :)   Oh, and it will probably come out somethin like 60# at 28"   Thanks, Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: An experamental design(for me anyway)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 01:18:12 am »
It's your creation, sounds good ta me - can't wait to see it :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 12:29:08 pm »
If you learn something from this project it ain't crap.  ;) Character staves are some of the best teachers out there. If you allow it, you will learn more from that stave than 100 straight ones. Take your time, study the wood as you go and only remove wood after thinking about what you are gonna do. As the stave starts to bend, give it plenty of exercise between wood removals so the removal registers. Even it the "bow" is not successful the experience can and should be. You should be able to make a fine shooting bow from this piece of wood but let the wood teach you everything it can and don't fight it.
Pat

ps. What kind of wood is it?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aries

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 09:50:52 pm »
I only have access to one bow wood in my area, and that is osage, and lots of it, so i am not unfamiliar with character bows ;D   Thanks for the comments   Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 12:54:22 am »
Knock your self out, Ty. ;) We all wish we had so much osage. Looking forward to your progress.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC