Author Topic: pin knot advice  (Read 2766 times)

Offline bushboy

pin knot advice
« on: July 29, 2016, 10:11:14 am »
I chased a ring a few years ago on this osage bow before I new better to leave these areas extra wood.i'm thinking it's a fatal flaw?thoughts?thx's Bush!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: pin knot advice
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:27:04 am »
Yeah, you violated that top ring around that pin. Do you have enough "meat" to chase another ring?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 10:38:48 am »
Thx's pat,yeah probably the best idea!it's 62" long and 1-1/2" wide for most of it's lenght.i. Could shorten it a bit to make weight.i thought about a wrap with CA glue,but i'm not really a bandaid guy.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:52:02 am »
I have left several like that on tight ring stuff, never had one fail. My current main bow has 5 or 6 small pin clusters right on the edge, I have never had a failure with these on former bows either. The key is small, yours is pretty small.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 11:04:49 am »
That's my thoughts as well Eric.  If it were a punky knot it would be violated anyway and likely never be an issue.  Better it be done right but it wouldn't scare me to try it.  Might even consider drilling it out though I wont advocate that, just thinking out loud.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 11:50:56 am »
Kinda hard to see,but there is a small crack on the left of the pin.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 12:40:21 pm »
The best fix if possible is to peel off the top ring. If you can't do that then you can super glue it and move on. I see the crack and that was the reason I mentioned drilling it out. If it is in fact a crack and I can't tell that for sure, then drilling out may keep it from tearing further under tension.  I would want some extra width there if I did that.  You can put a rawhide patch on it but I'm no fan of that as a rule. Doesn't look bad enough to be a problem in my opinion, but if it's cracked that's a concern.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 03:57:04 pm »
It doesn't look like that big of a concern to me either. I's warm it up with a heat gun and work some thin super glue into it. If you want to feel better wrap it with thread on matching sides of the limbs and soak it with epoxy, TB glue or super glue.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 05:21:24 pm »
The problem with small pin knots with small cracks like that one has is that you never know for certain if it will be a problem or not until it is. If it were mine I would likely just super glue it as others have mentioned. Of course pics. don't always show the defect like holding it in your own hands.  If I thought there was a 50/50 chance it would become a problem I'd probably do a sinew or thread wrap soaked in glue. Did you hear a tick at the time the initial crack appeared? How attached are you to the bow at this point? Are you a gambler Rob? :) I only ask because sometimes I like to roll the dice so to speak. ;)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 07:30:54 pm »
firewood.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bushboy

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 07:58:26 pm »
Thanks guys!greg she didn't make a peep.bow101,it would cost me over 150CD to get a new stave shipped to me in canada.you speak like you live in osage country?this stuff just doesn't grow on trees in my neck of the woods!lol!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 09:30:55 pm »
Rob, how long have you shot it before you noticed the crack?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline bushboy

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 08:25:16 am »
Mullet,i noticed it juring final tiller.i had it out to full draw and was just tweaking.since then it has sat in the the corner of shame.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 09:34:05 am »
bushboy.....Now there is such a thing as using a tapered layer of say 3" long  and as wide as the bow of combed flax a good 1/32" thick at the pin not area.Using hide glue or a very viscous epoxy for glue.After drenching the pin not area with super glue of course.Then I suppose more work then putting maybe a rawhide cover on it all.That would be about the best effort I could come up with barring removing another ring and piking your bow back to poundage.
I've used that on the belly of static recurves before with success.That's non bending though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 01:08:17 pm »
I still say I'd just super glue it and shoot the crap out of her. I'd just keep checking it to see if the crack grows longer. If it does I'd wrap it with sinew or thread. It takes a lot for me to abandon an Osage bow. I really doubt it will just blow up.
Lakeland, Florida