Author Topic: A little storm damage  (Read 1353 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
A little storm damage
« on: July 27, 2016, 09:29:32 am »
Pig nut hickory gave in to the sheer winds the other day.It had an unseen hollow area in the lower trunk of it.I quess it's mother natures way of weeding out the weak.Drove fence post into the ground a bit farther.Luckily that was the worst that happened that day.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: A little storm damage
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 10:29:35 am »
Old loggers used to put a stake in the ground and take bets on whether they could drop a tree on it and drive it in.  Dang, Ed, you did it and didn't even pick up an axe or a two man bucksaw!

Yer gooooooood!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 10:51:13 am »
Ed "Chuck" Norris is the name.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 11:17:57 am »
Note that the hickory tree didn't break, Badly bent and split but not break. That has always been my experience with hickory.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 12:05:57 pm »
May have a stave or two in that log.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 12:54:27 pm »
Yep think Pat is right. Looks like it failed under compression.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 07:34:33 pm »
Yep think Pat is right. Looks like it failed under compression.
Bjrogg
Note that the hickory tree didn't break, Badly bent and split but not break. That has always been my experience with hickory.

And people used to consider hickory a second string wood!

Also, what you see there is more BTU's of heat than two cords of Black Hills ponderosa pine!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 10:04:49 am »
The thing about it too yet is that it fell right across a well used deer trail I've got a tree stand along.Hopefully their route will stay the same.Kinda lowered the top strand of wire for the deer.....ha ha ha.
There not all the same always but this pignut had a lot of heartwood in it.Maybe should of took a stave or two but I never trust these trees that fall over for bows anyway.This one could have been an exception.The bores here get into these hickories.The only way a hickory here just cracks and breaks off at the trunk is when those bores make it rotten there over time.They infiltrate anywhere along the length of the trunk.Not just at the base.The holes can get as large as a number 9 wire.Then the woodpeckers start to work chasing the black ants that come sure as the world too and there are a lot of woodpeckers here......ha ha ha.The black ants honeycomb the wood all to heck.Even the heartwood.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed