Author Topic: arrows for a birthday bow  (Read 2504 times)

Offline jeffp51

arrows for a birthday bow
« on: July 25, 2016, 04:33:14 pm »
 Last year for my birthday, my brother brought me two 5-gallon buckets of obsidian that he had collected.  So this year, I made my brother a bow for his birthday (second place in BOM--thanks guys), and then realized he didn't have any arrows to shoot it with, so I set out to make him 6.  Of course one broke during bare shafting--but what you gonna do? The shafts are made of apricot suckers pruned from my dad's  tree.  They are a lot of work to straighten, and a little heavy compared to dogwood or bamboo, but I think they turned out really pretty.  The one obsidian point is from the stuff he gave me.  Last night he came through to pick them up.  He hasn't shot since he was twelve, so his arrows were going pretty wide, but when I took over, they flew pretty straight, so I guess he just needs practice. >:D

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: arrows for a birthday bow
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 04:38:02 pm »
Very nice look'n arra's ..............
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 05:13:44 pm »
Now, That's brotherly love.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 10:06:18 pm »
Pat took the words right out of my mouth
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 10:07:17 pm »
Very cool, love how one of them is diversified by the knapped point 😊
~Isaia

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 10:25:44 pm »
Nice set of arrows.  Are those screw in field points?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 01:47:29 am »
they are screw in.  I put in a brass sleeve and tapped it for the threads with mixed results. a couple of them are still held in with glue.  The others he  could swap out for a broadhead in theory.  I tried to make a jig to drill the hole centered, but it only worked so so. I may have to settle for glue on tips, but I would really like a way to make field points for shoot shafts.  I have a good system for bamboo, but it involves about 3 inches of threaded rod.  Hard to drill straight 3 inches into a shoot.  What do the rest of you do?

BTW, my brother asked how many hours I had into the bow and arrows, and I told him he didn't want to know.  I lost count a long time ago.  But this stuff is maybe more fun to give away than it is to keep.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 07:42:52 am »
Have you had any problems with the screw in points coming out?  I've thought about trying that on bamboo arrows before.  I've got some screw in points leftover from my modern bow days.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 10:50:17 am »
I use screw in points on my red osier shafts. I don't even use inserts just 2 drills. Can't remember sizes right now but first I drill one just a bit smaller than diameter of threaded part of screw on point as deep as threads will go. Then I drill one same diameter as none threaded part of point only as deep as none threaded part will go. Then I just put point in vice and screw shaft onto it. I do wrap sinew on end of shaft and let it dry before drilling. I have had one pull out but I drilled it to big. It would be nice to have some kind of jig to drill straight, that is the hardest part. I did this because I can't find glue on points around here. I did use tight bond 2 on one that came out haven't lost it since. Might not work for stumps or wood but works fine for block target.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 11:18:14 am »
You can get these things at some stationary shops. They are called binder posts. They happen to have the same thread as screw-in tips. Do a Google search on "binder posts". They are .197 OD, just over 3/16". I cut the threaded portion off. I only used them on a couple of arrows so I don't know how tough they will be. Depends on the diameter of your arrows, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:21:37 am by DC »

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 07:43:17 am »
Nice arrows Jeff I'm sure your Brother appreciates the time and effort you put in to them