Author Topic: Juniper  (Read 3635 times)

Offline jeffp51

Juniper
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:04:33 pm »
Where would you put a big knot on juniper? I cut a branch of juniper several months ago. When I did it tore out the last bit as the branch fell under its own weight. Problem is that may be the best side for the back. Seem like I read that it is pretty standard to decrown the back and then sinew back --you need sinew with juniper anyway.   There are a couple of biggish knots otherwise, but no twisting. Opinions?

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Juniper
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 10:35:04 pm »
I've never messed with juniper, would love to get my grubby hands on some. Anyway, I bet some pics would help the juniper guys give you some advice.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 03:56:53 pm »
If the best side for the back has some knots and your sinew backing anyways, don't worry about them.  I'd fill the punky ones, but if they're solid knots drop some super glue and carry on

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 04:52:31 pm »
Pics would really help.

Are you going for bendy handle?

I wouldn't say you need sinew for juniper but I know ERC is a juniper and it is well matched with sinew.

Generally, I would try to put the knot in a non bending handle if possible and then try to keep it from the edges if not in handle.
I did a sinew bow ERC with lots of knots and I decrowned it, reamed out any punky spots on back and put some short sinew strands spidering out from wood glue and sawdust and then let it dry. The sinew sticking out was not glued at that time. I layed it down later with hide glue onto the back, let it gel up, and then and went over it with the rest of the sinew job. Not sure if that process really helped but the bow did just fine.

My first bow was a ERC sapling with a significant crown and backed with 2 layers thrift store silk skirt. It was filled with knots, too short, took massive set, but still survives and pulls around #60. It is scarey.

Once you have pics you'll probably get a lot of other folks opinions too.

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 05:00:59 pm »
Woah that's a lot of bend DuBois!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 05:42:18 pm »
I think the only reason it didn't explode was because I didn't know it should. There's even some air bubbles under the silk  :-[ ::)
This was flat at the start.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 06:11:08 pm »
I will get pics as soon as I can. I was also trying to decide if the piece is trade worthy. My neighbor wants me to teach him, but that would be easier an Osage self bow instead of something that will need sinew. So if any of you are interested in some juniper, let me know.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 12:12:20 am »
Jeff pics would be a help, but in general juniper doesn't absolutely have to be backed.  This bow is decrowned ERC with a pretty sizable knot in the upper limb and it is not backed.  ERC is the touchiest of junipers in my experience and this bow is still my daughter's go to bow. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31071.msg412555.html#msg412555   She has won the district 4h championship the last 3 years with this bow and hunted whitetail last fall with it.   Sinew and juniper is a great match, but it's not absolutely necessary.  Josh

Offline loon

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 01:37:34 am »
Awe..some! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 11:44:02 am »
Juniper is soft. The string will cut into it easily .
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 11:53:58 am »
if it's ERC, I would suggest to back it.
Here are two of mine, also with knots and imperfections.
http://primitive-bows.com/erc-mom-n-dad-bow-4950/

or you could go with a cable backing
http://primitive-bows.com/eastern-red-cedar-flat-cable-backing-3428-no-29/

Good luck on yours and let's see pics!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 04:07:56 pm »
It is definitely western juniper--cut in southwest Utah last summer.  I have made one bow with the stuff, and it loves to have a sinew backing.  Loefflerchuck also makes beautiful bows out of the stuff.  I think I read somewhere that Ishi made bows with it by flattening the back (not paying too much attention to grain) and then backing with sinew--but I don't remember where now.   Here are some pictures.  the stave is 6 feet total, and about 5 to that big knot that makes the kink.  I am thinking it would be best to cut it off there and make a short bendy handle bow.  I tried to get pictures of the other knots and the tear-out.  the tear out was the bottom of the branch, and the otherside--that also looks relatively clean--the top.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 04:10:06 pm »
and a couple more.  All juniper I have seen has the little pin knots all over it.  Not sure if there is any that would be perfectly clean. Chuck or Goat would have to comment--they have more experience with it than I do.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 07:45:29 pm »
Jeff you should be fine with that tear out and knots whether  you make it the back or belly. If that's the back you could decrown it then sinew back it.  Most all the bow I made out of juniper always has those pin knots it's pretty hard to find a nice clean juniper stave especially if your always using branches.
Northern Ute

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 08:07:28 am »
Now that I see what your talking about, I would cut off the dog leg /knot end and go with your plan.  Decrowned and sinewed shorty.  Redhands right about the pins and branches.  Just dope em with super glue and move on.  Josh