Author Topic: First stave cut, first stave fail  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Justin.schmidt23

First stave cut, first stave fail
« on: July 23, 2016, 02:43:33 pm »
 Well I cut I Nicertainly chinaberry tree down last night. Tried splitting it today and it twisted on me and I just realized how curved it was  :-[ so off to the burn pit it goes. Im just gonna grab a straight piece of live oak instead

This piece MIGHT be salvageable. MIGHT

"Good enough " is never good enough. Take pride in everything you do.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: First stave cut, first stave fail
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 03:04:34 pm »
You may have been alright but you split it wrong for that particular stave. By splitting it at 90 degrees to that angle you could have had  highly reflexed and highly deflexed pieces of wood to deal with.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 03:24:53 pm »
Live and learn I guess. That's what I was hoping get for was a good recurve. But if I would have split it the other way the bow would have looked like a C correct?
Here is is before I split. I split at the top of the first piece that's facing the camera

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 04:16:28 pm »
It didn't split very good did it? Where's the rest of the wood?

Sorry, I was looking at the piece on the ground. The one you're holding up could still work out fine for you. Strip the bark and seal the entire back and ends.

If it was mine I'd leave it outdoors covered with black plastic and ratchet strap it to a straight tree.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:20:30 pm by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 04:18:34 pm »
Well.. It happens I guess!
Gotta have some luck with splitting staves ! Most of all with those curved ones!
Better off sawing I guess.

Good luck next time!
~Isaia

Offline Strichev

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 04:20:21 pm »
That's why I've sworn never to split yew or any wood again. One month later I proceeded to split a black locust stave. I got some firewood from it.

You can salvage that one, I guess, make a whole lot of heat adjustments from the handle to the very tips (bending the limbs in opposite directions). It doesn't hurt to try.

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 04:40:21 pm »
I'm gonna try to salvage one piece. The other I'm gonna just turn into a walking stick. Just got done chopping down a beautiful straight hackberry tree with just a hatchet. Never again. Gonna split it tomorrow and hopefully get at least 4-6 staves from it.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 01:27:13 pm »
Let us know how the Hackberry goes. Splitting staves is an art in itself. I split 90% of my staves. You win some and you lose some, but you should take away some knowledge everytime. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 02:48:31 pm »
Let us know how the Hackberry goes. Splitting staves is an art in itself. I split 90% of my staves. You win some and you lose some, but you should take away some knowledge everytime. Cheers- Brendan

Hackberry split beautifully going to get some nice staves out of it. Now if I. Could just get my hands on a draw knife....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 02:57:49 pm »
How many do you need? :D And you'll have to show me where you are finding Hackberry in these parts.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 03:00:34 pm »
Lol just one. I've got them all over my yard :) I'm in citrus County