Author Topic: Bull/Python Snake Skins?  (Read 2204 times)

cool_98_555

Bull/Python Snake Skins?
« on: July 19, 2016, 04:18:56 am »
Anybody know a site where I can get some bull or python snake skins?  I see a lot of places with rattlesnake skins and I've tried that, but I want something different this time.  Thanks!

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: Bull/Python Snake Skins?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 06:01:05 am »
americanheadhunters.com has some uncommon ones listed. They ain't cheap, but I guess when no one else sells them you can kinda set your own price. I didn't see the two you mentioned in the listing, but it says if you call he has more species available.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 08:56:07 am »
You might post on Trading Post.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 11:25:02 am »
   I don't know if it just a mental thing or what but I have used other snake skins besides rattler like bull snake for instance and never liked the look of it.

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 01:39:43 pm »
pine hollow on bull skins..I backed one bow with python..IMO the skin is too thick...I just didnt like it... bull on other hand are gorgeous

cool_98_555

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 02:09:04 pm »
On pinehollow I only see rat snake skins (Western diamondback and prairie).  Don't see any bull skins there.  I would love to buy some bull skins though.

Other than copperhead, what do you guys like best on osage?  I know copperhead is a favorite for osage, but I don't like it, as it's too light of a skin; I want something a little darker

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 02:28:54 pm »
Few things to consider. The color of the skins changes with the wood under it. So if it seems light at first, 2 years later its not. And vice versa. Also, if you like darker skins you can lightly stain (alcohol based) the back of the bow, then place skins on it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 03:13:07 pm »
Timber rattler looks good on osage.  So does black rat snake.  I like to use a single skin long enough for the entire bow.  You get that gradual fade from light to dark over the length.  I don't think I've ever seen a skin that didn't look good on osage.  You seem to have a narrow window of skins that you like.  Keep looking until you find something that works for you. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

cool_98_555

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 01:38:03 pm »
I've done a lot of looking around at pictures of different skins on osage, and I found some that I really like.  I ordered some Texas Rat skins from americanheadhunters.com.  Thanks for the reference Dakota Kid.  The guy needs a few days to process the skins so really looking forward to seeing them on a snaky osage bow i'm working on! 

Any guys out there with osage bows backed with Texas Rat skins?  I'd love to see them!

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 02:30:28 pm »
On pinehollow I only see rat snake skins (Western diamondback and prairie).  Don't see any bull skins there.  I would love to buy some bull skins though.

Other than copperhead, what do you guys like best on osage?  I know copperhead is a favorite for osage, but I don't like it, as it's too light of a skin; I want something a little darker

For what it is worth wdb and prairie rattlers are nothing like a black rat snake skin, which looks awesome on osage
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 04:05:37 am »
No problem on the reference, I came across the site while looking for coral snake skins. A little out of my price range at the moment, but someday the right piece of wood will come along at the right time and it will be go time.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna