Author Topic: Question about size of tip overlays about 3/8" at notch  (Read 1977 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Question about size of tip overlays about 3/8" at notch
« on: July 18, 2016, 09:23:05 am »
I shoot this bow about 500x before I figured out how I wanted to finish it. I put these blood wood tip overlays on. My question is are they to big? Will they slow my bow down? The tips are quite narrow
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Question about size of tip overlays about 3/8" at notch
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 09:32:32 am »
Another picture

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 09:45:42 am »
"Wide" tips wont slow a bow down and skinny tips wont speed it up. I used to think it helped/hindered. I don't believe that anymore. I keep mine near 7/16" anymore. I prefer a robust tip when it comes to a hunting bow. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 09:51:31 am »
+1.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 09:53:38 am »
The only thing I'd do different is make a smoother transition between the tip overlay and the limb. That hump you have there can make it difficult to brace.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 09:58:27 am »
Thanks guys l was under impression tip size really effected speed. This is 1st bow I put tip overlays on so I appreciate any advice or comments good or bad
Bjrogg

Offline JonW

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 06:29:46 pm »
"Wide" tips wont slow a bow down and skinny tips wont speed it up. I used to think it helped/hindered. I don't believe that anymore. I keep mine near 7/16" anymore. I prefer a robust tip when it comes to a hunting bow.

Chris bucking the system? What's next? Are we ready? ;)

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 11:39:36 pm »
Thanks guys l was under impression tip size really effected speed. This is 1st bow I put tip overlays on so I appreciate any advice or comments good or bad
Bjrogg

The last 8/10" will effect speed
Not so durable though
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 12:17:20 am »
I'm inclined to agree with Chris. The amount of weight we are talking between a husky tip and a sleek tip can't have any appreciable effect on the kind of bows we are shooting. I've had a hard time swallowing that argument for a while now. That being said I really like the look of a sleek, refined tip so that's what I usually do. I just don't pretend that it's turning my bow into greased lightning.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 09:17:24 am »
I agree with Weylin and PD.  I used to make my tips an inch wide.  Then began slimming them down to 1/2 inch and then 3/8 or smaller.  It looks much more refined and like most things we do with these bows, probably adds a bump in performance in a number of ways, but in small measures.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline loon

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 10:11:09 am »
Haha that tip is tiny! Even insanely fast Turkish bows can have much bigger tips, I think. sure is smaller than any of the tips on my bows

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 01:00:48 pm »
I wouldn't make a tip like that. Good advice above!

Well, I'm a guy who prefers very narrow tips. Always hunting for more speed ...  8)
And skinny tips + a very thin string makes a huge difference - at least in my experience! All saved mass accelerates the arrow.
Sometimes it is unbelievable how skinny you can make stable tips, example: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,56984.0.html

Until now I got no problems on my bows because of skinny tips (knocking 3 times on wood  :laugh:)

On bows with lower drawweight the effect is higher than on heavy bows!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 01:24:50 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. I did some more shaping on transition area to string nock didn't get any pictures yet but will post them when I can. Simson those are the tips I was thinking of guess I should have a happy in between
Bjrogg