Author Topic: Quiet Bows  (Read 4087 times)

Offline DC

Quiet Bows
« on: July 17, 2016, 09:56:59 pm »
What makes a bow quiet? I just finished a yew sorta pyramid and most of the time all I can hear is the string vibrating a bit.

Offline Weylin

Re: Quiet Bows
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 10:21:43 pm »
You might want to play around with brace height and arrow weight. And there are string silencers, of course.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 10:23:50 pm »
Tie rubber bands around the string one up and one down and see if that quiets it. If so you can make fancy fur silencers for the string. Heavier arrows make a bow quieter. The noise is vibrations and heavy arrows and string silencers both absorb vibration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 10:52:28 pm »
I think arrow spine can cause some noise on the release.  If they are to stiff they can clank off the arrow pass. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 09:12:19 am »
Your string can make or break the noise deal as much as anything. Too many twists or not enough will cause nose/vibration. Its not super sensitive, but if you have say 4 or 5 twists per inch, you have too many. If you have 1 or 2 per inch you don't have enough.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 09:12:31 am »
All of the above plus a good tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 09:29:04 am »
The better the tiller the quieter the bow, but not just tiller alone.  Limb timing (ballance), lite tips, proper brace height.  I think it's all of these things that have been mentioned coming together.  Some of mine come off the tree really quiet, others are a struggle to muffle them.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 10:01:43 am »
+1.....Many things go into a quiet shooting bow.If you got 0 hand shock I'd say just a couple of silencers will work on your bow to quiet it even more.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 02:37:59 pm »
Your string can make or break the noise deal as much as anything. Too many twists or not enough will cause nose/vibration. Its not super sensitive, but if you have say 4 or 5 twists per inch, you have too many. If you have 1 or 2 per inch you don't have enough.

I hear ya to many have only 10 strands, mine have 12 and some twist they are deadly quiet.  Use some fuzzy wuzzy material 12" down from the tips works for me.   ;D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 03:06:28 pm »
I'm not worried about the string noise. Those fur silencers always remind me of coon tails hanging from the aerial of a '52 Chevy. ;) ;) ;) Not my cup of tea. It's the other noises. I've tried all different spines, still get a whacking noise(I guess you would call it). This bow doesn't do that most of the time. I'm wondering if it could be the string hitting my bracer that I'm hearing. I know it does hit because it leaves a mark on the bracer. I haven't figured out how that happens because the string is at least 3" from my arm when I hold the bow up to shoot it. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 03:28:37 pm »
the better your release, the quite the bow :)

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 03:36:08 pm »
I noticed one thing that I have been practicing lately, hold the bow straight and pull back  straight or twist slightly to the right and dont use the death grip.  When I practice that the string does not hit my arm and my grouping improves.  I have tried countless bows and arrows, so I know its not the Spine.. :D

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 04:09:52 pm »

I was afraid of that :-[ :-[

I noticed one thing that I have been practicing lately, hold the bow straight and pull back  straight or twist slightly to the right and dont use the death grip.  When I practice that the string does not hit my arm and my grouping improves.  I have tried countless bows and arrows, so I know its not the Spine.. :D

Twist your arrow hand??

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 05:32:17 pm »

Twist your arrow hand??

Yep;  You corrected me on that.  Its the same thing shooting my FG recurve or wood bow.  ::)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 05:33:20 pm »
yes the arrow hand has alot to do with it too,, my problem is usually too much third finger,, when I get it right,, loose grip and smooth release on the fingers,, my bow will shoot a wide range of spine very well,, and quite,, when I have a bad release it won't shoot any arrow well,, just takes lots of practice,, the heavier bows are easier to get a good release,, practice with a lighter bow will improve your release and make shooting any bow easier on the release,,