Author Topic: mostly for the european community (i guess)...  (Read 4606 times)

Offline medicinewheel

mostly for the european community (i guess)...
« on: February 29, 2008, 04:02:11 am »
gentlemen!  -  any of you ever checked on sloe/blackthorn (prunus spinosa) as bow wood?? - have memories of it from childhood, made way better bows than hazel  8)  i made some bows out of two even shots spliced in the handle by drilling holes in a square piece of oak and than glue in the limbs.
read it somewhere: if it carries fruit, nuts or thorns it will make a bow; well sloe carries fruit AND thorns...

...keep pondering about that wood lately!

what do you european guys think??

frank

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

Re: mostly for the european community (i guess)...
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 04:03:58 am »
ps: it's a eurasien hedge sort wood; i guess you don't have that in north america!?
pps: related to prune (see latin name) and roses
Frank from Germany...

Dustybaer

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 04:09:35 am »
if i recall correctly, AndrewS has experience with it.  a bitch to work with but excellent bow-wood is what i remember him saying.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 04:13:03 am »

it will be a bitch to cut with 2 to 4 inch thorns on it!  >:D >:D >:D
wouldn't make for a one piece selfbow i guess, but spliced...?!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Cromm

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 09:03:34 am »
Hi, I had one made for me years ago by my Grandad it was only a small boys toy but worked so well a big fat kid nick it then broke it!! P.S. I bumped into the guy again a year or two ago. By the end of it he wished that he had not taken the bow!!!! ;D But like i told him " Hey the two missing teeth and bent nose will be all the look in Rome next year!! :-* >:D :-* :D P.P.S. Apple wood works very well also.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 11:15:25 am »
Blackthorn is very dense wood. I have one piece in my shop, it is full of knots and thorns and a little bit twisted. I had to glue a grip on and may be  back that piece of wood with sinew!?
I must have a very good day, to start ;)

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:31:36 pm »
Prunus spinosa is under discussion right now down at the Paleoplanet forum. Asier from Basque country has made bows from the wood and loves the stuff. I only have small test pieces (doesn't get big enough here) but can tell that the wood is seriously dense, strong and hard as well as visually impressive.

Tuukka

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 12:00:43 am »

that's how i remember the wood, really hard! i have it grow big in my area! thanks for the paleo-info, i'll check.

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline markinengland

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 05:36:22 am »
Blackthorn was used by the Irish for their Shillelagh fighting sticks. Heavy, dense and tough.
So far I haven't found a bit good enough for a bow. The wood is a real toughy to get out and dry and split and oftens seems to have areas of rot in a piece big enough and straight enough to make a bow. I have a few bits that might make something one day when I feel up to the challenge. I have heared good things about it and seen some quite good small bows made from it.
Sloe gin is very nice by the way!
Mark in England

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 10:40:22 am »
Looks quite similar to our wild plums (Prunus americana, P. angustifolia, etc.) They have hard wood, thorns, and fruit similar to your pic. It usually grows really crooked and twisty, though. I've been on the lookout for a while trying to find a piece straight enough to make a bow from.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 02:42:11 pm »

mark: the biggest pieces i found the other day are like 4" diameter and for sure no problem to find to pieces to splice in the handle! - so i'm going to harvest some and see what i can do with it...

hillbilly: that's how most of them are around here, too, sounds very similar; but i really found some promissing pieces lately.

thanks, frank
Frank from Germany...