Author Topic: Trade bow - yew longbow  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Trade bow - yew longbow
« on: July 13, 2016, 10:17:44 am »
Shipping out my 2016 primitive archer trade bow. This was a piece of yew that I got from Bryce back in 2013. He stopped by the house with a truckload of fresh cut yew. We ran bunch through the bandsaw and he offered to let me pick a couple for myself. I picked the two runts of the litter with couple big knots and squirrely grain. It turned out to be a pretty cool chunk of wood.

Simple self nocks.
The strike plate is a piece of elephant ivory from a stash of old piano key tops that snag gave me. Inlayed about half deep.
Stained the back with vinegar steel wool stain then darkened that up with a thin coating of oak gall hide glue.
Finished with shellac and linseed oil, and topped with tung oil. Added a couple coats since the photos were taken.

I will add the specs after my recipient gets the bow, dont want to give too many clues.  ;) Hope he likes it.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:13:46 am by Carson (CMB) »
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Trade bow - yew longbow
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 10:39:42 am »
Another fantastic trade bow. You turned that stave into one heck of a good looking bow. I love that tip looks like you could make a pipe out of it lol. did you write on it with wood burner? Beautiful bend
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 11:43:43 am »
Certainly a great looking bow Carson, we have come to expect nothing less than incredible work from you.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 12:30:15 pm »
Very nice Carson, I think he's gonna like that one!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 01:29:22 pm »
My kind of bow there.All kinds of character to boot also.
Oak gall hide glue though....Could that have tannins in the glue from the oak maybe??????
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 01:42:57 pm »
I already commented on the swap thread, but. that's a fine stick of yew Carson. I did a similar stain job on the back of a yew bow I built and named it "Dirty White Boy" :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 01:43:37 pm »
I love how the bow is simple and primitive yet it has so much uniqueness and personality. He's going to be happy to get that bow, I'm sure.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 06:59:30 pm »
Thanks bjrogg, and yes it is done with wood burner.
Thanks Aaron :) love that brush nock Osage bow you sent to Clint.
Thanks goat! I hope he does.
Thanks Beadman, yes, made some tannin water from oak galls, then used that to mix up the hide glue. Halverson first turned me on to this recipe. It makes the glue more moisture resistant. Like tanning a hide. I accidentally discovered it changes color when top coating over vinegar/steel wool stain. There are actually old world recipes for ink made from oak gall and rust. Fun stuff!
I remember that one Pearly. And thanks for getting that song stuck in my head...was that reo speed wagon?
Thanks Weylin! 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 08:33:42 pm »
A very cool bow indeed Carson. That hole near the dip looks pretty scary, it just looks like there should be more wood there. Can't argue with the success of the bow, and your skills as a bowyer. Nice job.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 09:42:08 pm »
Now that's pretty cool!  It wouldn't be hard to pick that bow out of a lineup.  It definitely stands out from the ordinary!  Josh

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 10:56:45 pm »
Very very cool bow, that stain looks fantastic

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 11:02:49 pm »
Incredibly beautiful! Nice stain job too!
That looks like some great workmanship, well done!
~Isaia

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 11:39:53 pm »
Beautiful bow Carson! Love the stain, and the holes. There is something about knot holes, that always get me. They are meant to be. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 02:22:09 am »
Looks nice!

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 03:07:24 am »
Now that is a nice bow :) Top drawer!