Author Topic: Twist: Midlimb V.S. Tips?  (Read 1643 times)

cool_98_555

Twist: Midlimb V.S. Tips?
« on: July 12, 2016, 01:34:10 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have a roughed-out osage bow that I'm ready to get started tillering.  Strange thing about this bow is that there is twist in the middle of the limbs, but the outer 10" or so of the limbs are flat and line up with each other.  Is this still ok?  I have heard that you have to get the twist out, but is that for the entire limb or does that just concern the tips?  The tips are straight and have no twist but the middle of each limb is twisted a little.  In this case is it really necessary to get the twist out for the entire limb?  Will it jeopardize the performance of the bow?  Handle area seems to have no twist as well.  Any ideas on this would be appreciated! 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Twist: Midlimb V.S. Tips?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 02:15:55 pm »
I rarely worry about twist unless it is excessive approaching 30 degrees or so.
Post some photos.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 02:31:32 pm »
Sounds pretty cool!
Just might be a little more difficult to tiller and see the actual bend but shouldn't hurt the bow any if it lines up right. And yes, pics  ;D

cool_98_555

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 02:46:56 pm »
I've been trying to get a good angle with my camera so I can take a good picture, but I couldn't get a good picture that shows the twist.  Then I studied it some more and looked at it from many different angles, and it doesn't look like it's twisted as much as I thought it was.  There is a deflex kink in each limb from where a knot was under the belly, but i'll heat those out later.  I don't think this minimal twist will give me any trouble.  Just hope it doesn't have any effect on performance.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 03:33:20 pm »
As you're tillering be sure to look at it from both sides. Those little twists cast shadows that can really screw with your head.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 03:42:06 pm »
Tiller your limbs out to low brace and see how the twist affects the tiller.   Like George said, minor twist is of little concern with wood bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC