Author Topic: Do I need to heat treat this stuff?  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Dances with squirrels

Do I need to heat treat this stuff?
« on: July 12, 2016, 12:15:26 pm »
I'm fairly new to knapping. I messed around with it a few years ago, never got any good at it, and now would like to give it another try. I have aquired some Flint ridge flint and wondered if it should be heat treated? How about Dacite? (sp) does it need heat treated? I have some of that too... at least that's what I was told it was. That stuff seems hard to break.

How do you know whether a material needs heat?
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bowmo

Re: Do I need to heat treat this stuff?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 12:37:09 pm »
Never seen Flint Ridge for sale that wasn't already heated so it's probably doesn't need it and dacite is never heated.

Here's a good site with the temps for different rocks tho.

http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php?topic=3392.0;wap2

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 12:45:04 pm »
I'm not by any means an expert on rock but any dacite I had knapped good without heat treatment. Is it Ohio flint ridge? It usally pretty pricey and colorful stuff to start out with. I've never worked any. I'm not sure but I think it can be worked raw but some colors can come out with heat. If it's Ohio flint ridge I'd find out for sure if it should be cooked and how. Sorry I'm probably not a real lot of help but good luck knapping.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 07:39:14 pm »
Do not heat Dacite, you will ruin it. And you can look at Flint Ridge and tell. If it is shiney and waxey looking it is heat treated.Most of what you will buy comes from Roy Miller and almost all of it is heat treated to perfection.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 01:24:58 pm »
Ok, I won't heat the Dacite.

I got the flint ridge stuff from a guy that goes over there and digs his own. I'm sure he has NOT heat treated it, but I'll ask him that specifically this weekend. He has been going to the flea markets in my area trying to sell flint. I plan to get as much as I can afford from him. Any advice on heat treating it would be appreciated.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 03:28:25 pm »
Sorry, I've never personnaly heat treated Flint Ridge so I can't tell you the temperature/time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 04:24:40 pm »
I've never treated flint ridge, but plan on going to get some at the end of August. From what I've read take it up to 500-650 depending on thickness in a electric turkey roaster filled with sand raising the temp slowly over time. Mine only goes to 500, but I think I can get it a little higher if I use it in a small space like a closet. Hold this temp for at least 2-4 hours then slowly decrease the temp over time. Once you've worked the temp back to 0, leave it overnight to finish cooling. If you notice no improvement, try it again doubling the hold time and check it again.

I got this info off the Puget Sound Knappers page, so don't hold me accountable if it doesn't work, but this is the method I plan to use.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 10:58:11 am »
Ok Dakota Kid, thanks for the info.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 11:08:20 pm »
Here is the link to the Pugetsound page: http://www.pugetsoundknappers.com/how_to/how_to.html

Notice that there are two charts. They are in the process of reworking the first one.

Knock a flake of any size off of it, and if the scar it leaves is slick and glossy, just start chipping. If it is hard to detach a flake, and the scar it leaves is dull, then it needs some heat.

WA

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 10:04:56 am »
Thanks Chippinstuff. I'll give it a wack.