Author Topic: Butt Ugly Newnan  (Read 2002 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Butt Ugly Newnan
« on: July 23, 2016, 08:18:16 am »
This Newnan has to be the ugliest point I've ever found, some ancient one was desperate. This is made from some hard, untreated Brookesville, Fl. chert and limestone. It looks good next to the nice one I just posted.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dalton Knapper

Re: Butt Ugly Newnan
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 12:57:57 pm »
Could have been a reject, but you never know. When thrown on a dart backed by an atlatl, I suppose all you really need is a sharp tip and accuracy. It certainly is ugly, but I tell you what...At work I'm sorting some 5,000 points into basic types and many of them are quite badly made, especially from the Woodland period. Archaic not so much and certainly not paleo when it comes to bad workmanship. Mississippian tools & weapons are generally all well made too.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 02:13:58 pm »
I know what you mean. A few years ago I labeled and sorted to time periods for the small, local museum in the town I work in. I saw some real pretty ones along with some really bad ones. One thing I noticed was when the stone was real high quality the points looked a lot more refined.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 02:22:37 pm »
Really interesting Eddie. Looks a lot like the pieces of chert I find in my fields around here. Looks like that hole going through middle and coming out side was going to make trouble. This is one i made out of what I think is simular chert.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 04:04:15 pm »
That is a cool looking point BJ. I like the fossils. I have a small pile of Ocala chert to heat treat that every piece is full of fossils.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 05:46:28 pm »
Thanks Eddie. I find a lot of small pieces of this stuff usally freeze cracked and holes like that point you found.
Bjrogg

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 07:26:25 am »
I like to see found points etc. :)
There is a story in every one.
At least the knapper didn't bust it in half
and you have a complete artifact.
Butt it is kinda homely.
What was this guys excuse? Just a tiny triangle.
Zuma
BJ your chert looks really a lot like some
Florida cherts I have found. Cool point
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:29:42 am by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 08:16:24 am »
Looks like he was having trouble getting that turtle back off Zuma kept trying till just small point with big turtle back. I hate when that happens. I really enjoy looking at artifacts almost all of the ones around here are pretty crude looking. It's written in stone, they struggled with the same problems I do. Steps stacks, hinges, turtle backs, poor quality material. In the end I think they were happy to use what they ended up with if it could bring something to camp that was a meal.
Bjrogg

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 09:29:28 am »
I have found many big clunkers like that.  I think of kids toys When I find big ugly points like that. Looks almost like the real thing, but not nearly as lethal.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 03:06:31 pm »
Yea, Don. You could knock something out with this one. He did run a couple of nice diagonal flakes across it.
Lakeland, Florida