Author Topic: Too let it split ... or make it split?  (Read 2830 times)

Offline andrie

Too let it split ... or make it split?
« on: July 10, 2016, 09:27:58 am »
Hi guys...thanks for a great forum and place for guys like me(under 5 bows made) too learn more about this trade.
Here is my question...I have a very nice looking trunk of an unknown tree(south africa). I want to know what is benefits for letting it split where it wants or the negatives for making it split right down the middle. I have split (along the grain) and dried a similar log of this wood and ended up with a quite allot of twist. The wood is very hard and heavy and have smooth bark so difficult to see grain before splitting. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:39:18 am by andrie »

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Too let it split ... or make it split?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 09:42:22 am »
How do you "make it split down the middle"? It'll follow the grain if you split it. You could saw it down the middle.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 09:50:27 am »
First off, what is the diameter of the log?
How many pieces did you split the first log into?
Did id get drying checks badly or not?

I don't know African wood but probably should treat it like most woods. I would suggest splitting in half as the grain allows if it is at least big enough to get a stave from each half. In half should stop some of the twist of drying.

If not big enough for 2 or more staves, I would debark and seal it, or if the first checked badly, consider leaving bark on for a while and sealing ends.

Now how about some pics  ;)

Offline andrie

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 12:03:03 pm »
Pender: I split it down the middle with a couple of steel wedges or like you said saw.
Dubois: dia =6 inches, I split the last log in halves, and it only checked a little at the stave ends near the edges.
The reason i asked for advice is because I want to saw the log in half...there are a very nice even section of wood on the one side. So is it always so much better to stick to the grain ?

Offline andrie

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 12:14:11 pm »
Front of log...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 12:53:23 pm »
IMO, the first thing you should do is learn about the woods you are going to use for bow making, learn the characteristics of those woods and deal with them the way that is best suited for the particular wood. The diameter of the log makes a difference. Big diameter, 5" to 6" and up I would split down the middle and get the drying process started, of course sealing the ends. After the splits have acclimatized a few weeks, I'd reduce them again, maybe in half again but wait a while before reducing to stave form. This will allow the wood to slowly acclimatize and stabilize.
  For small diameter wood, 4" or less, I saw the "pole" in half considering the physical attributes and flaws in the pole; knots, cleaves, rot, etc.. For these small diameter poles I'll bind the 2 halves back together with spacers between to allow good air circulation. In both cases I let the wood season for a reasonable length of time. For me, that is at least a year before stressing the wood.
 If you are going to saw the log I'd consider where to saw to get the most out of the log. Saw it thick(2" at least) and stack the "slabs" with spacers between each slab for good air circulation and give them at least a year to season. After they season you can make staves or laminations, which ever way you plan to go.
 Which ever way you go give your bow wood plenty of time to dry and stabilize That will make a big difference is the bow wood you harvest and in the end the bows you build.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 01:37:21 pm »
If you leave it alone it may open up 5 splits, If you split or saw it in 2 any splits will tend to just be shallow ones from the centre.
Sawing/splitting in 2 helps it to do what it wants in a way that is to your benefit.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JulianVdM

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 01:46:08 pm »
Dude! I'm in SA too!! Whereabouts are you? Also what do the leaves look like? The bark actually looks like a type of black wattle, were there leguminous pods on the tree?

Edit: could it have been a Celtics? White stinkwood or related?

I'm excited sorry.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 01:46:48 pm »
I'd split vs saw something that size, if it were me. How long have you had the other split one drying for? Have you worked this wood before? Ask around and find out what species it is. Dry a few small pieces and do some tests, bend, specific gravity and what not. You learn lots by just trying things out! Hope that helps. - brendan

Offline andrie

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 04:49:37 pm »
Thanks guys for all the replies...you sort off changed my mind so Im gonna split it and hope for the best.
Brendan... I have tried to identify this tree...but so far no luck...pieces of the last stave after about six months of drying did not want to break when bending it...when it eventually did it sort of just tore the fibres at the top. I did finish the bow...55lbs@29. But it crysalled on me after about 2 months shooting it..bad tiller ..wood not dry enough yet ?
Julian...great to see another sa on here...im from wilderness george...the leaves look like small stinkwood leaves...its not stinkwood, wattle,kamassie, assegaai...Ill take some pics of leave later.
Del yes defenitely gonna split it in half and see if I can get at least two good staves.
Pat Im gonna split and let it dry for a year or more...the last one  I rushed and paid the price.

Offline andrie

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 04:58:51 pm »
Julian another pic of log...

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 05:16:42 pm »
Nice keep us updated!

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 11:34:06 pm »
The way you described the way the wood broke sounds like it has a heavily interlocked grain. That's one good feature in a bow wood, but getting an ID  to verify elasticity and breaking point is more helpful. The wooddatabase.com has wonderful resources on just about every wood around the globe and a formula that helps to determine possible bow woods.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline andrie

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 02:11:52 am »
Dakota...yes i agree. Thanks for the tip...will make use of it.

Offline JulianVdM

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 07:21:44 am »
Do you have any leaves from the tree? The bark looks like white stinkwood. And the way you are describing the wood splitting too... I might be wrong though.