Author Topic: Tree ID  (Read 1445 times)

Offline DC

Tree ID
« on: July 14, 2016, 05:15:49 pm »
Does anyone know what this is? It's not native here. It's an ornamental small tree. Berries are like a raspberry. Sorry about the last pic but it shows the bottom of the leaf.

Offline DC

Re: Tree ID
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 05:35:45 pm »
I did some googling and I believe it's a White Mulberry. Does that sound right?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 05:49:52 pm »
Mulberry for sure.................white maybe, not sure.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 07:01:03 pm »
My understanding is white Mulberry has white berries. I see a red one there so I am thinking otherwise. Maybe a cross pollination can give some red ones. If most stay white then likely a white one. Seems like the white had larger leaves or more 3 lobed leaves. White is not suppose to be good bow wood but the red is.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 07:06:16 pm »
According to Wiki White mulberry can be white,red or purple. I'm going by leaf shape and texture.

Offline Loope

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 08:32:45 pm »
I understood it was named white mulberry because of the color of the flowers in the spring.  That looks more like white mulberry to me.  White mulberry leaves are usually smoother than red mulberry.  That is, red mulberry leaves have tiny little hairs all over them that make the leaves have kind of a rough texture.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 09:34:14 pm »
It's a Texas Mullbery

Here is a white Mullbery

Red Mullbery

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 02:11:05 pm »
Mulberry is a wonderful tree. The bark makes excellent cordage, the wood makes good bows, and the berries are full of vitamins and minerals and make great jam. The berries are considered a "super food"(if you are into current marketing labels).
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 02:33:02 pm »
Knowing it's some kind of Mulberry is good enough for me. It's a neighbours tree so it's not potential bow wood. I'd just never seen raspberries on a tree before. It's funny I never noticed it before. It's right by the mailbox that I've been going to for 40 years(oooh that hurts). It's about 4-5" in dia. so I guess it hasn't been there the whole time. Thanks for the input

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 09:11:15 pm »
Ex we have a lot of mulberrys. It does take several years before these bare fruit. And I've notice some years they don't. I have no idea why that is.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 10:42:44 pm »
I have picked and eaten mulberries since I was a kid. Those have all been dark purple when fully ripe, and the trees have two different shapes on one tree. One shape is about like you posted, and the other is lobed. Every one of them has been VERY sweet. The only problems I know of with mulberries is the mess that fallen berries can make on a driveway or sidewalk, the stems that go all the way through them and the difficulty getting to them while they are still in the big trees.

WA