Author Topic: Dual-shelf Bamboo backed Ipe  (Read 3316 times)

Offline silent sniper

Dual-shelf Bamboo backed Ipe
« on: July 07, 2016, 07:44:40 pm »
Hello everyone, I just want to start out with thanking the knowledgeable folks here who helped answer my questions throughout this build.

I first started wanting to make a bow 3 years ago when I got into traditional archery. It has been a LONG and challenging ride fulfilling this dream. Many failed attempts and novice mistakes had left me wondering if I was every going to make a useable bow. But I am happy to say I think I have finally conquered it, and I can see building many more bows in the future. The 9+ failed bows before this one only make success that much sweeter. So, with that said, here it is!

64.5" NTN, 55@29, Bamboo backed Ipe with 3/4" Ipe riser and curly maple grip. black walnut tips along with dark brown leather grip and arrow rests. Finished in 4 coats of gloss Spar Varnish.  I have always loved the dual-shelf bear kodiaks from the 1950's, So dual shelves was something I really wanted. She holds 1/4" of set right after being unstrung and relaxes back to dead straight overnight. It shoots very well and I think a deer is going to be in serious trouble this coming fall! Enjoy,SS.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Dual-shelf Bamboo backed Ipe
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 07:58:45 pm »
Something we don't see very often.A righty or a lefty bow.Besides that the bow looks great.Colors of material.Tiller is steller.Sure hope you get success with it on some game and your future bows to be made too.Keep em coming.Like the name too S.S.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 08:19:18 pm »
10th time is a charm good job way to stick with it. That's a really nice bow it looks like you learned from your previous attempts, I'm sure you'll learn from this one too.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 09:34:11 pm »
Looks like you got you a shooter there, great job!

Offline 100grains

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 11:19:44 pm »
I'm pretty sure I couldn't have hung in there for 9 broken sticks! That being said, you did a fantastic job on the tiller and the handle shape is very neat. Overall you should hang your hat on that fine piece of craftsmanship. I look forward to hearing about the deer you shoot!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 08:37:30 am »
Spot on tiller! With the abrupt handle fades there is a chance of your handle popping loose on the ends somewhere down the road.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 11:24:29 am »
Well it sure looks like everything came together at the same time, that is a very nice bow, nice bend, nice finish work, cool design, good job! I look forward to seeing your next bow!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 11:27:37 am »
Really like the tiller!
That dual cut in arrowshelf is not my thing ... but it's just me!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 12:03:08 pm »
Very nice job tillering that bow ss

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 12:03:31 pm »
Lots to be proud of here. Good job.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 01:08:37 pm »
great determination, great tiller

dave
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 01:09:58 pm »
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I learned a lot from this bow and I look forward to the future bows I build. I hope with enough work I can craft some of the amazing pieces of art like the members of this forum build. The reason I chose the dual shelf design is because I can shoot a bow with either hand and I wanted the flexibility while hunting to have shot opportunities from either side with minimum movement. We will see how that goes....   Thanks again, SS.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 02:37:14 pm »
Nice!!

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 01:44:24 pm »
I like it.  I haven't made a dual shelf - but I like it.  Tiller looks spot on to me.  I agree with Eric and would also suggest a more gradual fade from handle to limb.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 02:58:00 pm »
Full draw looks impressive. Congrats!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857