Author Topic: Moisture in wood after finish is Applied  (Read 3980 times)

PK

Moisture in wood after finish is Applied
« on: February 28, 2008, 05:17:36 pm »
If there if access moisture in the bow after a finish has been applied, will it mold or will the moisture still evaporate through the finish?or?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Moisture in wood after finish is Applied
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 05:24:56 pm »
Wood is hydroscopic, I think the word is .That is water vapor (moisture ) moves in and out. The finish will slow it down but it wont stop it. No finish does. Not sure about epoxy never used it. Dont think ya have ta worry about mold.......bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 05:51:33 pm »
Bob, Actually the word is hygroscopic. I looked it up in my Funk and Wagnell the other day. I couldn't find hydroscopic in the dictionary.
PK, you wouldn't want to completely seal a bow anyway. It would probably cause dry or wet rot. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 05:51:43 pm »
If you leave the bow outside, it will get moldy.  If it's always inside...you're safe.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 08:04:26 pm »
No finish is waterproof, resistant yes. The wood will absorb and release moisture based on the humidity and temperature.
The finish can and will change the rate at which the wood changes moisture content.
I'm starting to really like pig fat as a finish ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 10:06:08 pm »
 ;D Thx Pat never could do that thar spellin' thang good ! :D.....bob

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 10:17:31 pm »
Talking about expoxy have built several wood kayaks expoxy is highly recommended for use in that when you coat both sides of the pieces it encapsulate them to moister, water doesn't technically rot wood by that I mean standing water ,water vapor penetrates wood and causes wood rot expoxy is or was about $55.00 a gal plus hazmat fee to ship mix a little wood flour in it you could actually glue wood strips together expoxy is also more impact resistant and flexible over that other stuff we do not mention on this forum
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 10:33:02 pm »
I agree with Dana pig fat's the way to go ,plus you get to eat the byproduct of the renderin' .  ;D

Ralph

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 12:19:05 am »
No finish is waterproof, resistant yes. The wood will absorb and release moisture based on the humidity and temperature.
The finish can and will change the rate at which the wood changes moisture content.
I'm starting to really like pig fat as a finish ;D

I told ya.......Tallow and Beeswax..are two great finishes....and they are both edible too!!!!No harmful fumes or side effects....besides wanting to chomp on your Bow!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

PK

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 09:25:13 pm »
Thanks for your info, .Im gonna try it on my short bow, got lucky and got a chunk of that expencive Prosciutto Pork fat for free.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 08:52:40 pm by PK »