Author Topic: Best Moisture Meter?  (Read 1979 times)

cool_98_555

Best Moisture Meter?
« on: July 03, 2016, 09:43:41 am »
From your experience, what is the best, most accurate moisture meter you have used to check the moisture content of your staves?  Is it best to use pinless meters or meters with pins?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 10:02:42 am by cool_98_555 »

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Best Moisture Meter?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 12:11:50 pm »
Get a good digital scale instead. I never use my moisture meter anymore.
I bring my roughed out bow inside and mark the weight. Once the weight has stopped dropping for a week or more, I know it's good.
a moisture meter doesn't tell how wet the wood is deep in the stave, but a scale will

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 12:13:37 pm »
2x with the goat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 02:12:43 pm »
I really don't understand why moisture meters are not used more often except I know they are expensive.  To each his own.

I use my Mini Ligno all the time from floor tiller to just before full draw. When I get a reading too high I stop for a few ways and let the wood dry.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Strichev

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 03:58:39 pm »
Get a good digital scale instead. I never use my moisture meter anymore.
I bring my roughed out bow inside and mark the weight. Once the weight has stopped dropping for a week or more, I know it's good.
a moisture meter doesn't tell how wet the wood is deep in the stave, but a scale will

What relative humidity would we be looking at in your home? I guess the scale is useful if you know that your environment is always "dry enough" so that when a bow reaches equilibrium it's at an appropriate moisture level.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 04:25:19 pm »
I live in the wet PNW, but my my home is the same as many people, around 68-75 40-50%RH
When it rains a lot a very seasoned stave can gain a gram or 2. A gram of water is 1 cm3, so when a stave is losing a few grams a day, that's a lot of water to me.
This topic comes up from time to time, everyone has their own ways of doing it. I like a scale because it gives me the best idea of much water is in the wood.