Author Topic: Eucalyptus maculata long self bow almost done  (Read 2865 times)

Offline cadet

Eucalyptus maculata long self bow almost done
« on: June 28, 2016, 06:19:49 am »
Got a bit of time and space, so took to the tools again: I've just about finished with a slat of spotted gum ripped from a decking plank. It looks delicate - 76" tip-to-tip, only an inch wide at the handle and 3/4" thick, narrowing and thinning to about 3/8" at the tips - but it's a hard, heavy timber, out to 26" now and pulling well beyond 50lbs, and barely half an inch of set once relaxed. Nearly done; I need to bring the inner limbs around a bit more yet. Anything I've missed?

Offline PatM

Re: Eucalyptus maculata long self bow almost done
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 06:27:53 am »
The hinges at each tip?  ;)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 07:47:19 am »
Yes I think you thinned the outer limbs a wee bit too much
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 08:35:52 am »
I would agree. I think you need to remove some wood from handle to just past mid. limbs. Your going to have to give up draw wieght to save this one. If you look at your picture almost all of your bending is happening in last 1/3rd of bow. I'd try tilering it out it might end up light but it's good practice. Avoid areas that are bending get the ones that aren't moving. Good luck
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 10:12:03 am »
Your right limb is also way stiffer but you need to get the inner limbs working more
I like osage

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 01:33:07 pm »
At that length you have room to cut 2 - 3 inches off each tip and fix the tiller. Just don't pull it so far until you sort out the outer limbs.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 04:01:47 pm »
Very whip ended bow. I'm surprised it has taken so little set. I'm with the other guys.  Tillering is simple: take wood away from areas that aren't bending, and leave alone the areas bending enough. Get the inner limbs bending and cut the bow down a few inches.You can still end up with like a 68-70 in bow and still have some decent draw weight. Benefit of making a longer bow.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline cadet

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 07:41:44 pm »
Thanks all for the feedback.

I'm not entirely displeased with the shape, but yes, it is whippy, and I do want to get the inner limbs working more, and could shorten it.  What little set it's taken is all in the outer limbs.  I'm still seeing what spotted gum can do; I suspect - like a lot of our timbers - it's a much harder, heavier timber than north Americans and Europeans are used to playing with.

Offline cadet

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 02:25:23 am »
I've done a little more work, getting the inner limbs working a touch more.

Could someone explain to me some of the pros and cons of whippy ends?  I'm no engineer, but perhaps there's a place where they may be useful?  Certain timbers?  Designs?  Effects we want to achieve on strings and arrows?  They can reduce moving mass near the tips after all; and isn't that something we're trying to achieve?

Offline loon

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 02:39:14 am »
I like the simplicity

Whippy ends may be faster with lighter arrows, but will be slower with heavier ones. Less stored energy is the downside.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 11:44:50 am »
The bow just isnt working to its potential....theres a lotof limb that could be bending.  All that work being done by so little wood will greatly shorten the lifespan of the bow.

I like the idea of shortening the bow a little and retillering.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 11:53:23 am »
  At 76" long you may be better off with the tiller you have now. It will be a lot less shocky. If you do decide to drop with I would go for the inner limbs. All those old long target bows had whip tillers.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 12:10:09 pm »
I was thinking the same thing Badger.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 12:26:25 pm »
I think you two are unto something, but this one might be a bit extreme. I would like to see at least 6-8" per limb more moving with maybe 16" in the middle stiffer. As is, its a bit more than a simple old school whip tiller.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline loon

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 01:34:30 pm »
The left limb looks more whippy and like it has a hinge.. and it also appears to have more set. You don't want a few inches doing most of the work.
I think the right limb looks fine, but maybe there's a hinge near the tip? Correct me if I'm wrong